• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Cool(ing) question

Quinten

Short story, ordered http://parts-shop.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/cooling-heating?product_id=659 and got it delivered today.  My first question is that on their image

a clasd-700x700.jpg

the fan switch nut sits on top, but the one I received has it on the other side (so the fan switch would sit upside down).  I'm assuming this doesn't matter?

Then the 2nd question, the nut for the fan switch is much smaller than the one for the fan switch they sell here http://parts-shop.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/cooling-heating?product_id=638 which looks exactly like the fan switch I already have

1 A RAD FAN SWITCH-700x700.jpg

The diameter of the hole seems to be 9.5mm, and nothing like the 22mm as above...  anyone know what I now need?

My fan switch is 22mm and is fitted in the rad. The sensor for the temp gauge is what I've got fitted to the 'hockey stick'. I'm not fully sure about having it upside down though, what I can say is that I've had a temp sensor failure and had it been upside down it would have been a right pain.

I've a vague memory that my original hockey stick was like that and it was swapped but I can't be sure

My rad doesn't have a fan switch, hence I went for the Westfield supplied option.  One of the sensors in the thermostat housing provides the feed to the gauge, so I only need to cater for the fan switch now....

I've just had a look through my purchases and the sensor was a 1/8"NPT fitting, I guess you'll need to try and find a suitable fan switch with that fitting. I fitted a 92-87 when I updated my cooling system last year and it works much better now. 

Quinten do yiu have a wiring diagram for your ecu? You may be able to control the fan operation from the ecu.  I presume youb have a temp sensor providing an input to the ecu. If not you will need one and the thread on the hockey stick may provide a suitable location.

50 minutes ago, Rhett - Joint Black Country AO said:

I've just had a look through my purchases and the sensor was a 1/8"NPT fitting, I guess you'll need to try and find a suitable fan switch with that fitting. I fitted a 92-87 when I updated my cooling system last year and it works much better now. 

Thanks. I quickly tested the thread with an M10 bolt (not sure what thread they are, they are used on the bellhousing/engine connection) and it partially screws in.  But I can't find any fan switches with an M10 thread *and* a specification of when they switch on/off.

I'll have to call Westfield tomorrow and ask them what the deal is with it.

1 minute ago, neptune said:

Quinten do yiu have a wiring diagram for your ecu? You may be able to control the fan operation from the ecu.  I presume youb have a temp sensor providing an input to the ecu. If not you will need one and the thread on the hockey stick may provide a suitable location.

Hi Martin,

I'm using a MBE 956E (see http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Info_sheets/MBE/956E.pdf), which uses one of the sensors on the thermostat housing as an input.  But I'm led to believe that the two relays that are part of the loom are used for the ECU itself, and the fuel pump.

25 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

Thanks. I quickly tested the thread with an M10 bolt (not sure what thread they are, they are used on the bellhousing/engine connection) and it partially screws in.  But I can't find any fan switches with an M10 thread *and* a specification of when they switch on/off.

I'll have to call Westfield tomorrow and ask them what the deal is with it.

Hi Martin,

I'm using a MBE 956E (see http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Info_sheets/MBE/956E.pdf), which uses one of the sensors on the thermostat housing as an input.  But I'm led to believe that the two relays that are part of the loom are used for the ECU itself, and the fuel pump.

Hi Quinten

Thats a shame . Your ecu doesn't appear to have any auxilary outputs. Those i have been looking at have aux outputs from the ecu that can be programmed to provide a range of controls suchcas shift lights, fan control etc. May be worth checking if all ecu pibs are accounted for on the pdf ir asking SBD 

The hockey stick uses 1/8 npt fitting for temp gauge. Fan switch fits in radiator.

Do not force the M10 into it or it will ruin the tapered thread. 

You may need to buy a fan switch housing that fits in between the hockey stick and the rad.

That's not good.  No fan switch in radiator, and no need for an additional temp gauge sender as the thermostat housing already has one.  I specifically bought this to get a mounting point for a fan switch :cry:

Yes, I've seen those, but the cost of that + a straight piece of pipe + a corner is near enough the same as the hockey stick.  And if it only had a suitable connection it would have been perfect.

Why a fan? Use what you have. Keep the hockey stick and blank off the fitting. I used a bleed valve from a household radiator, now acts as - a bleed valve!