Single Space Tabbing (if that's the correct description?)

Rab (bombero) Reid

I've noticed when starting a new line, that the cursor 'double spaces down'. Is there a way that I can change this?

Just now, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Shift-return will do it :yes:

Hi
Chris,
I
see
now!
Thanks
mate!
:rolleyes::laugh:

why would it default to a double line space though? Surely it's easier to hit the return key twice when you want to double space than to shift-return when you don't want to?

55 minutes ago, kevip6 said:

why would it default to a double line space though? Surely it's easier to hit the return key twice when you want to double space than to shift-return when you don't want to?

Not sure - it's how it came 'out of the box' - I may be able to tweak it, will have a look

Double line is used as a standard layout in many places, I guess...

I wasn't complaining, it just seems strange to have to do something special to go to the next line rather than skipping down 2 lines. I usually hit return twice by default so before I know it I'm 4 lines down and have a post full of white-space :)

I know, I do the same. Like I say, I suspect it's just a hangover of a common corporate report layout "style", where normal typing results in a half line space, and return assumes a new paragraph so inserts a whole blank line.

It may be set up in a CSS for the Boardroom, not sure of that "back of house" area!

It's probably something I can change - but looking at the CSS it's not adding in an extra return, but is adding in extra 'space after' so to speak. So if I change the CSS, then a load of posts will suddenly be missing the space after!

I'll do a test on the test forum we have set up and see if there's any knock on effects. But don't hold your breath as this is certainly not a "mission critical" task, so very low on my list! :)

To be fair, though initially annoying when you're not used to it from the previous software, I'm actually starting to get used to it and find it useful!

I suspect by the time the more important stuff is dealt with, most of us will have got used to it and then will miss it if it's removed!!

This could be one of those "you can't win situations". 

Unless more start struggling with it, I'd probably not bother changing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep said:

To be fair, though initially annoying when you're not used to it from the previous software, I'm actually starting to get used to it and find it useful!

I suspect by the time the more important stuff is dealt with, most of us will have got used to it and then will miss it if it's removed!!

This could be one of those "you can't win situations". 

Unless more start struggling with it, I'd probably not bother changing it.

Agreed 100% - leave it as is, the prospect of sorting a bug that causes major chaos is too hideous to contemplate.

No problem. I can think of much better things to do with my time - like wiring in my ECU, fitting my AIM dash, cutting my carbon dash...

• Like 1