Recommend me a Smallish SUV for the Memsahib (and for me, of course

Stuart

If you are going to tow as well, check that the car is Approved for a tow bar.   As mentioned previously, the Golf R, Audi S3 and many other high performance cars cannot tow,  just make sure before you buy.

Picking up a 16 Plate Yeti 4x4 for my wife next Sunday to replace her Octavia 4x4. Did think about Freelanders and the like but the Yeti was the one she liked best. Its got almost as many toys as my Superb too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all.  Slight veering off course here so would like to pick the collective knowledge again.  Test driving an X3 this morning but attention has been very much grabbed by the 3 Series XDrive.  Anyone any experience of these?  Thinking 330d MSport Saloon or Touring.  I had a 330D MSport few years ago and it was a superb car and I'm thinking a 4x4 would be even better.  0-60 in 5.3 seconds and 40-odd to the gallon.

What's the reliability of the DPF/AdBlue systems in these modern diesels?  Do they block up if you do short runs? (don't do as many long ones now we're retired).

Any advice much appreciated. 

You could also look at the 330/340 petrol variants. the future of diesel is looking questionable and if you are not going for the big SUV then petrol would be worth considering. 

Unfortunately they don't do 3 Series xDrives with big petrol engines, Rhett, only a 2 litre. Thoroughly enjoyed the X3 this morning and, as I expected, it reminded me just how much I love the BMW 3 litre 6 pot diesel.  Beautifully smooth, quiet, 260hp,loads of torque across the range, about 40mpg and 0-60 in less than 6 seconds (only half a second less than the 330d xDrive Touring).  So X3 definitely back on the favourites list :)

I did dabble with the idea of the 227hp petrol Q5, but the thing is too much of a barge.