Mates rates track days - new TDO

lewis

Found this thread on PistonHeads from some guys that want to have a limited number of cars on a track day without breaking the bank.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=18&t=1639649

Who loves a cheap track day with a lower number of cars signed up for the day? We do! So myself and two other petrol head friends have set up a new concept - non profit trackdays at mates rates. We have stumped up a lot of cash and booked Snetterton on Monday 13th February 2017 for our own trackday. 

We have capped our day at just 60 cars and the cost for this open pitlane full day is just £129. There will be a maximum of 45 on track. If we fill all 60 spaces we will also be giving £10 cashback at sign on, making it just £119. 

Additional drivers are £20, Passengers £5 and Garages £20 - all a lot cheaper than other trackdays. 

I won't be able to make the first one at Snetterton but will be going to ones later next year I hope.

i saw this on locostbuilders i thought it was a great idea. they have a facebook page ill definetly be attending if they do some more. just need to get me a trailer

I saw that thread too - is the day still marshalled and have medics?

that will work to the point when their (the tracks) main customers start to complain (track day organisers) - nice idea but a shame for the regular track day companies who may loose out  and may decide not to offer track days at the particular venue

I can see this cutting down on choice if it becomes a regular thing for the sake of a small-ish saving?

I agree Cleggy

There are a few car clubs that organise events like this for members.  e.g our own event at Blyton and BMW car club do similar.

I can't see the long term viability of what is being proposed.

Financial clout (you'll need 5 figures to hire an MSV circuit most of the year) and all the insurance documentation ready to go, I guess.

also if you insure your car for trackdays most insurers will only allow this with approved track day organisers with proper briefings etc not private events

Anyone can run a trackday, all you need is a willingness to stump up £10k in the blind hope that you'll cover your costs :oops:.

It is good fun and if you can get the punters the rest is fairly straightforward, pro instructors can run the event for you, insurance is available at a daily rate etc.

The issue is that they will go on every forum they can find and get loads of comments about what a good idea it is but when it comes to getting the bookings in they will suddenly find everyone has to work that day, or their car isn't quite ready, or the circuit they have chosen is too far away etc.  

I wish these guys a lot of luck but I've got the teeshirt on this one, we ran trackdays as a hobby for eight years and in the end we packed it in because we were still working just as hard to fill events as we were at the start. 

You have to commit a lot of time and money but my feeling is unless they can build it to the point where they are running events at least monthly and ideally almost weekly they will struggle to keep the momentum going in the long term.

• Like 2

I have checked and the day is already more than 50% full. It looks like the idea of restricted numbers seems to be attracting people as hoped.

Really must get the winter strip and rebuild underway.

Lee