Seight, plug types, leads and distributor and rotor arm etc

Badger56

Hi All,

I bought my Seight back in May and set about various improvements such as getting the suspension set up correctly fixing the over heating problem and getting it running smoothly on a rolling road. I'm very happy with the results and intend to get the suspension re-built over the winter probably using  ProComp.

The car runs a TVR 4.0 litre cross bolted block Offenhauser inlet manifold. and Edelbrock / Webber 500 4 barrel carb  with PRi Ignition amplifier and Magnicore 8.5 mm leads. 

So what's the question, well I've noticed a slight "hesitance" when cruising or driving at town speeds and wondered if this might be down to the plug lead distributer combination,  Does anyone have any suggestions about plug types, leads and particularly distributor and rotor arm, including sources would be good.

I think these may be the cause as following the Rolling Road session at HiTech motorsport the car runs and accelerates beautifully, the car just wants to go, and throttle response is immediate.

In case it matters it produces a solid and reliable 185 BHP with 220lb of torque.

Cheers

Dave

From googling, TVR claimed 275 bhp from the 4 litre, but seemed a more sensible number is 240 bhp, so unless thats wheel HP rather than flywheel, seems a little low.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

That may explain something about potential stutters and hesitance. Something might be amiss. The westfield exhaust , if using the cast manifolds, isnt the best , but it shouldnt loose that amount of HP.

Mine was running NGK BP7ES, they were fine for spirited driving but did tend to foul a bit when at low rpm and chugging along in traffic. I fitted BP6ES and they ran better (hotter plug) but I would swap back for track.

http://www.v8developments.co.uk/products/ignition/spark_plugs/index.shtml

I didn't buy them from V8D, though.

Ian

Edit: power and torque do appear to be low.

Edited by Yanto

Woops, mentioned the "P" word  :d I think the issue is probably more the variance between rolling roads and the actual spec of the car, I have my suspicion that it may not be a 4.0l but a 3.9l does anyone know how to check? I guess engine number and if that's the case where do I find it? what should it be etc?

The engine checks out otherwise, good compression etc and goes like stink so I'm really not that concerned.

Thanks for the replies but nothing on a dizzy yet, anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

As long as you are happy, and with the power/ torque you have it will make a rapid car no matter what the RR graph shows.

I can't help with dizzy as mine is throttle bodies/injection, coil packs and ECU.

Again I can't really help with engine ID as mine was re-manufactured by V8 Developments so has one of their engine numbers which is on the block, near side.

Ian

ETA:  this might help? http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/content--name-Rover-V8-Engine-Numbers

So I've done a bit of research and as suspected it's not a 4.0l but a 3.9, engine no' starts 35D0.... making it a range rover engine with a 9.35 -1 compression ratio, this is a later model than the original which started 30A0....  none of this worries me, and I'll give the guy that replaced the engine the benefit of the doubt (whoever he was) as it could be an honest mistake. Reliable power is more important to me than a hypothetical number, oh and the lovely rumble of a V8 of course  :d

So question remains, any recommendations??

Hello. I have Rover 3.5ltr V8 and went to A P Racing to check engine. One thing I went for was to discuss the dizzy and HT leads. With regard to dizzy, optical upgrade is the best and magnetic second best, Both better than points. Any further 'upgrade' to electronic is expensive with little benefit. Turning to HT leads, you probably need the double insulated high temp ones as they rest on the engine - especially the one from the coil to the dizzy. Bought my HT leads from Rimmer Bros who will look up your engine and give you the specific leads to suit your engine. If you do this, discuss the potential need for a longer coil to dizzy lead as the original is likely to be shorter as the coil would have been much closer to the dizzy in the original set up.. Hope this helps. And yes - nothing like the sound of a V8!

Hello. I have Rover 3.5ltr V8 and went to A P Racing to check engine. One thing I went for was to discuss the dizzy and HT leads. With regard to dizzy, optical upgrade is the best and magnetic second best, Both better than points. Any further 'upgrade' to electronic is expensive with little benefit. Turning to HT leads, you probably need the double insulated high temp ones as they rest on the engine - especially the one from the coil to the dizzy. Bought my HT leads from Rimmer Bros who will look up your engine and give you the specific leads to suit your engine. If you do this, discuss the potential need for a longer coil to dizzy lead as the original is likely to be shorter as the coil would have been much closer to the dizzy in the original set up.. Hope this helps. And yes - nothing like the sound of a V8!

Andy, You definitely win the prize for the best answer, really helpful thanks, I'll look into the leads with Rimmer Bros & the dizzy options. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I am running NGKBP6ES plugs with Moroso Blue Max leads that I made up to fit using a kit from RealSteel. The dizzy is a Lucas 35DE8. Seems to work pretty well as a set-up and much stronger than the original HT leads and Champion plugs it was supplied with (3.9 stage 2, on Weber 500 carbs).

Luke.

If it's hesitant at light load only, then do you have a working vacuum advance on the dizzy?

If it's hesitant at light load only, then do you have a working vacuum advance on the dizzy?

Interesting point, It's connected up to the right hand manifold vacuumon the manifold  and I assume it's working but may be worth checking, I'll take a look. Not sure what to look for though so any suggestions? 

Hi Dave,

I am running NGKBP6ES plugs with Moroso Blue Max leads that I made up to fit using a kit from RealSteel. The dizzy is a Lucas 35DE8. Seems to work pretty well as a set-up and much stronger than the original HT leads and Champion plugs it was supplied with (3.9 stage 2, on Weber 500 carbs).

Luke.

Thanks Luke, not the first time you've helped me, much appreciated.