Mobile phone boosters

dombanks

IIRC Sure signals are linked to your account. The three we have for our various offices are all manageable via the website which is useful and ths is because they are account specific.

An whilst I don't want to wee on your deep fried potato comestible's...

Vodafone "un-register" them from the system after a year of inactivity and state that they may not come back on-line even if you call them to ask for this to happen.

I was doing this last week as one of ours failed and we had a spare which had been off-line for 18 months. It came back after a call, two transfers to the right department... and a 24 hour wait for the firmware to update and the thing to re-register. It works though...

The signal boost boxes supplied by Vodafone and EE, etc. are registered to an address.  This is if you make a 999 call, the emergency services know where you are.  If you move house or give it to a friend then this location data is out of date.  I believe that is why they de-register the box after a period of non-use.

The box plugs into the back of your router and connects back to the operator's network using your Internet connection.

As more networks are now introducing Wifi Calling (where your phone uses Wifi to connect to the phone company's network) then these signal boxes (Femto cells) are becoming redundant.  Of course, you need a handset that supports it too!

How can you tell of your handset and network do this?

Most networks now have either (or both) wifi calling or signal boosters. 

As far as signal boosters go, the handsets don't care. They just see the correct signal from the correct network.

Wifi calling can be a little trickier and may or may not depend on handset firmware version as well as provider support.

• 1 month later...

Have we established now that the Sure Signal boxes can't be transferred? - just tripped over it again and will throw it away if no one else is allowed to use it!

• 4 months later...

I'll have to look, I threw one away in the end, but did have two.