Matlock Mystery Tour - Sun 30th Oct

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Depending on day & weather I'll try and persuade the Wendz for us to head over and join in.

Well - weather's looking ok.

But dinner with Wendz mum excludes us :(

Wow, excellent, see you all at Matlock then  :t-up:

Sorry, Smeg, about you not coming, it would have been nice to see Wendz too, and the drive through the Peak District is stunning at the moment with it's autumn coat on. If you get chance we are at the Oil Can Cafe on the 13th November, might see you two then.

Up and ready. Roads currently damp but hoping to have traction later 8-)

Just about to leave. A bit damp here, too. Hopefully drying later though...

Damp in Stoke too!

Hope you all have a great run and roads dry up

As the clairvoyant said "I'll have to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances"

Sorry but Rosie and I have been called away so we won't be able to come out to see you all.

Hope you've had a great trip, we might even be able to make the next trip!

Another great day out! Cake, trains, cake trains and tunnel! 

https://youtu.be/pt5Y7TWq6DI

• Like 1

First time something "driving" past me has made my windows shake!

Just got back in, another great day of caking on fantastic cakes. Er sorry, blatting on fantastic roads!

• Like 1

Gutted couldn't make it,

But at least I did get out for a very brief local blat round the block :)

• Like 1

We promptly met at Matlock in time to NOT catch a train, if you know what I mean. We were going to see it, not travel on it. There was Alan, Dave, Paul VX, Ian, Andy and Rebecca, Martyn and Sue, and us, excellent turnout folks, well done.

DSC09335_zpsgr77wljh.jpg

We went to Peak Rail and the train was in, BUT, no steam. Martyn took the sting out of my disappointment by informing me that it was a Deltic engine, so that made it better. Thank you to Ian for filming it's departure and posting it on here. We got parked in front of the train and suddenly this red Westfield wizzed in from out of nowhere. Hhaa, it was Big Andy and Debbie, who had made good use of the extra hour, packed the caravan away early doors and rushed out to join us, brill!

Peak Rail

DSC09339_zpsxfwcpp5a.jpg

DSC09340_zpsajhjqzlk.jpg

I got a front row seat in Dave's show, you could charge for this, oh the noise

DSC09344_zps5mln233k.jpg

The Peak District wearing it's autumn collection

DSC09353_zpszmqxius3.jpg

The roads didn't dry up and we set off through Bakewell, nice and noisy over the bridge, the Westfield's have arrived and we are letting you know about it. On to Curbar which is a very speed conscious village on a steep hill. So in low gear we went the 30 mph and hit the throttle at the National Speed Limit sign, straight into the Curbar Corner, swishing around and along our way to the Roundhouse. There were 2 policemen waiting for us there and I am thinking it's not me, what has Glen done now!!! They disappeared so I guess we were alright this time. A man came to tell us that the cafe was closed due to ill health and when we went to the Deltic Shed the sign told us that it was only open on Saturday's, so it was a quicker visit than intended.

DSC09356_zpsxfz7m8kg.jpg

Shear Legs - hand operated and used for lifting steam locomotives to access wheels or axelboxes. 

DSC09360_zpss32zgf8f.jpg

• Like 2

The round bit of the roundhouse

DSC09365_zpsfvidyy11.jpg

The outside yard

DSC09366_zps1qnpjk7b.jpg

Oh, and the cars. The VX hogged the photo here

DSC09367_zpspbs2g4wf.jpg

The Motley Crue with their cars, thanks Glen for taking the photo

DSC09371_zps8pq0tckz.jpg

We then went the whole, full one minute journey to Nona's on the Chesterield canal, which was fun under the railway bridge, oh it's been a very noisy day today, hasn't it Dave!!!

DSC09373_zpscs4nfosd.jpg

That's enough of cars, it's time for a cake moment, so I mentioned the chocolate cake with a cream filling earlier, well here it is.

DSC09376_zpsxirycpse.jpg

That was the end, unless you want more?  everyone did, so off we went, through Chesterfield - did you all wave at my dad? He knows I go out in my car but I don't think he could believe his eyes when us lot drove past him. Back through the Peak District to Hulme End Tea Junction cafe. The owner there is closing after today to have an operation, so we thought we would show our gratitude and give her a last bit of business, wish her Happy New Year and promise to return in March. Most just had drinks but some people had more, including Rebecca who had lost the De out of her Detox by having ice-cream, good lass. Now I was thinking I had better let everyone get home in the daylight, however Glen had other ideas by mentioning that we were only 5 minutes from 'the tunnel' Dave, Big Andy and Andy have never driven the tunnel experience so off we went for a quickie. Glen kindly filmed it and we have dropped our speed to avoid a Section 59 but I was at 6000 rpm and making a lot of noise, how was it for you???

https://youtu.be/N6xLfjiMPAc

We headed back to the A515 and split for home, which was in the dark, but at least this week I had clear lenses in my glasses and could see where I was going.

On a somber note we all wore black ribbons today on our cars to remember people that are no longer with us in their Westfield's

DSC09377_zpsiv5h81mt.jpg

It has been a fantastic day, started at 7.30 by watching the Caterhams racing at Donnington on Channel 4. Westfield driving sandwiched in the middle, and finishing with Lewis Hamilton in Mexico, fun, fun, fun.

Nothing is happening next weekend because we are at our nephews wedding, the weekend after is the Oil Can Cafe on the Sunday and depending on the weather we might try our new road, Thorncliffe Bank to the Mermaid Inn on the Saturday. Take care and we will see you then.

• Like 3

Saw you all coming past Haddon Hall going into Bakewell. I  was going in the other direction but I did wave. Looks like a good day out but I was at Gulliver's Kingdom with the family. Fantstic fireworks!

See you soon.

Luke.