A word of warning, warranty policy in B&Q

maurici

Well. Today I´ve decieded to start my career as a gardener. I´ve gone to B&Q and bought 3 different power tools to help me with my work.

Trimmer

Electric Chainsaw

and blower.

The only expensive bit I´ve bought have been the chainsaw, that is a bosch thinking that for safety reasons I preffer to be safe with a fairly dangerous tool...

Well, once at home, I´ve unpacked the chainsaw, assembled, and filled with oil as stated in a BIG WARNING sign in the box. "FILL WITH OIL BEFORE ANY USE". Pluggued in, pulled the trigger, and nothing have hapened.

Emptied the oil tank as much as I could, dissasembled everything and drove back to B&Q.

They rejected to return a faulty Brand new item bought 2 hours ago because "Its eviden that have been filled with oil". It needs to be processed as a warranty with bosch that will take years to be solved. Even if they sort me the problem within few weeks I´ll be without chainsaw during my only and valuable Free weekend in the next two months and It p*** me off.

Mention appart of the behaviour of the Crewe store staff that have been ZERO helpfull with the strong position of "company policy".

So... if you buy something that is succectible to fail in B&Q, take a look to the returns policy, as you could end with a faulty power tool that is not elegible to be returned because you have followed all the warning directions (as open the box and lubricate it) before even test it...

To finish, I´m not specially familiarized with the customer rights here in UK, but I´m pretty sure that if something is faulty since the unboxing, you should have the right to return it with no questions!!

Know your rights. I guarantee you the person behind the counter doesn't and believes the "company policy" nonsense.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

It is up to the RETAILER to deal with your faulty goods, NOT the manufacturer. Go back. Stand your ground. Have the law handy...

• Like 3

Know your rights. I guarantee you the person behind the counter doesn't and believes the "company policy" nonsense.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

It is up to the RETAILER to deal with your faulty goods, NOT the manufacturer. Go back. Stand your ground. Have the law handy...

Good to know for the next time.

However, I´ve been as hard as I could, and I can promise you that the first 15 minutes of hearing stupid things I´ve been very nice... after that, I´ve lost a bit my nervs and I´ve been nicely invited to go off the premises by the manager of the shop. Going back is not going to be any good unless I´m ready to loose one hour and my nervs again. Next time something like this happens, I´ll have the law printed with me.

Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly (30 days)  Your claim is aganst the retailer, not the manufacturer.   Go back to the store, speak to the manager, tell him you reject the goods and want a full refund. Tell him if you don't have a refund or working replacement within 7 days then you will seek legal advice and will seek to recover the cost of that advice from them.

Tell them to stick 'company policy' in an uncomfortable place, and quote them 'the consumer rights act 2015'

• Like 1

And lets not forget that retailers are obliged to recognise your rights under the act. Most of them will have a sign that states company returns policy. That sign ALWAYS has the rider "this does not affect your statutory rights". Well the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is the statutory rights they are talking about. Doesn't matter that they asked you to leave. You were RIGHTLY and JUSTIFIABLY angry at the store deliberately ignoring (at best) or were ignorant of (at worst) your rights as a consumer. Any reasonable person would be angry under those circumstances. Get back in there, get hold of the manager (metaphorically speaking) and state your case.

• Like 2

You have every right to expect an immediate refund , from an item that failed to work . Just one word of warning, is that whatever you buy from B&Q , some manufacturers can reject a claim, as goods from B&Q are 'mostly' a domestic tool etc, however they advertise their buisness. If at anytime they note it is for commercial venture, then they could reject it. We supply our engineers small power washers for air conditioning work and they prefer the domestic versions for portability and usually get them from B&Q . Karcher have been good when we send them to them for repairs , but dont do it for free as we use them for buisness and taking them back to B&Q usually gets a cold stare. Bosch may make tools for B&Q , but the life wont be as good as a Stihl etc from a proper shop, but obviously there is a cost perspective in this.

• Like 1

Stupid question, but you're sure it doesn't have the kick-back brake on? 

• Like 1

Stupid question, but you're sure it doesn't have the kick-back brake on? 

Checked this... first though!!  :d

Shame then on social media companies hate that

Also done... :)

By the way... I've found the fault in the saw... Was not any fuse in the plug... Filled the empty thing with a fuse... Now working. (Why I have not saw it before) :(

European plugs are not fused... I'm not used to.

• Like 1

I nearly suggested that earlier but I thought it would be very unlikely!

Glad its working

Only used B&Q out of convenience.  Always found they put a huge mark up on their products.  They are closing stores saying its due to younger people not doing DIY.  Perhaps if they weren't so greedy and reduced their profit they may see an upturn!!  

You handed your money to the retailer. All your consumer rights are with them. Regardless of what the t&c's between retailer and the manufacturer are. Sometimes it's worth talking to the manufacture because they won't be impressed with the customer service or the fact your unhappy with a product with there brand on. They might make you an act of good will offer.

In the past I've lost my cool and prospective with customer service trying to force my point of view and the facts as I see it. Now my tact has changed get the customer service person on your side. If they are unable to make a decision they are more likely to refer it up positively and your more likely to get The right out come quicker.

Also let them know what you want. That's true for any complaint. If makes it easy for the person to satisfy you.

On a more happy note... Several years back

First thing in the morning I bought a 9" angle grinder from homebase to cut a car up. At the first bit of load it shredded it's gearbox... They gave me a new one... By the afternoon having been more sympathetic I was nearly done and thought!!! I wonder if the gearboxes are weak or was it a fault on the last one. A little more load and the gearbox was fine but the motor changed tone, smoked and died. The same nice lady that afternoon did not offer a replacement simply asked for my card to credit me... Free rent :)

• Like 1

T****rs

In chainsaws, certainly petrol drive, the two brands worth having are Husqvarna or Stihl.

We have a large Stihl brushcutter (strimmer with guts) and its the dogs, faultless and a dream to use.

Daniel

Only used B&Q out of convenience. Always found they put a huge mark up on their products. They are closing stores saying its due to younger people not doing DIY. Perhaps if they weren't so greedy and reduced their profit they may see an upturn!!

Maybe if they didn't sell last year's ugly crap they would be more profitable. Ypu can buy a bog for 90 quid but a pack of nails is a fiver!