Engine size

S2T

I thought some of the road going Caterhams ran ZZR tyres which were fitted as OE

Yes but they are not the soft compound and are list 1B

I said without constraint not based on existing classes Is there a 1.7 litre engine made today?

Sorry but I don't getyour point David. The 1700 cc limit was set to aplease the tuned X Flows of which non started life as 1700 cc and were originally 1600 cc. Apart from the Puma, I'm not aware of any other 1700 engine as standard aside diesels like Astra and Kia Sportage etc. There was once a Volvo of some sort but that was rubbish...

John,  I am just saying that other than continuing to follow legacy, there isn't really that much logic in the cutoff being 1700 today.  1600 or 1800 would make more sense for all clubs to adopt based on commonality of engine size.

John,  I am just saying that other than continuing to follow legacy, there isn't really that much logic in the cutoff being 1700 today.  1600 or 1800 would make more sense for all clubs to adopt based on commonality of engine size.

Stop upsetting me then :-)

It would seem any change would be to the disadvantage to some and that would usually incorporate a financial impact too. Personally I think classes should be based on horsepower and torque rather than cc's or even horsepower to all up weight ratio

S2C.....you forget that CECs and BEC are totally different in their performance characteristics and in particular the difference on torque has a major impact upon performance

When you add in the small turbo engines in today's current cars it all gets even more complicated.

There is no "right" answer and I'm not sure there ever will be. But it's good to hear ideas.

current MSA multiplier  for turbo or supercharged is 1.4

Hmm, VWG 1.2 TSI can be easily taken to 200 bhp in stock form. With the 1.4 multiplier, that makes a 1.68 litre engine. They're a tiny and light engine, could be a good shout for an A/C class winner!

• Like 1

Hmm, VWG 1.2 TSI can be easily taken to 200 bhp in stock form. With the 1.4 multiplier, that makes a 1.68 litre engine. They're a tiny and light engine, could be a good shout for an A/C class winner!

& the 1.0 litre Ford Ecoboost engine can be tuned to 200+ bhp !!!

Adam

I think Nick Algar in the DJ Firehawk would disagree with you as his 1.3 supercharged buss would end up against the V8 Judd cars!!!!

• Like 1

Interestingly the results show that currently I'm in the same ball park as the car engined 2ltr cars on sprints.

Whether these small turbo engines can produce reliable usable power that gives them a significant advantage has yet to be proven.

Nick will correct me if I'm wrong but I think an increase to 1.7 was consulted about but it was kicked into the long grass.

Nicks results compared to Steve Miles in the BSC seems to bear out the existing 1.4 is about right.

Nick will correct me if I'm wrong but I think an increase to 1.7 was consulted about but it was kicked into the long grass.

Nicks results compared to Steve Miles in the BSC seems to bear out the existing 1.4 is about right.

Correct.

In racing it's 1.7 and they seem happy with that. But the results in Sprint & Hillclimb just were not showing the difference.