• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Scotland hates the motorist.

TAFKARM

I've been up in Scotland all week, my house to Glasgow, to Oban, to Aberdeen, then Dundee, back to Aberdeen and a short (!) drive home from there.

I've never seen so many fixed cameras and vans in my entire life. It felt like the A90 had a camera every 3 miles! I reckon I got pinged on the M74 on the way back home, from a van on a bridge, cruise on 80, so a realistic GPS 78. I'm sure I'll get 3 points on the mat, I don't think they offer SAC up there.

And what's with all the signs saying things like 'Don't pick your nose while driving' and 'Stop for a poo if you need one'?

I'm glad to be home. Other than that, nice part of the world.

This is starting to happen all over the place now. In Bristol the speed cameras on the M4 M5 interchange are set even when there is no reduced limit. Anyone doing over 75 in that section is caught. (some have posted on Pistonheads that this is true but speeds are usually 78)

The reason is that now the camera partnerships have worked out how to hold on to the money in England. Over awareness course for  speeding, phone use or may other previously fined offences and the money is split between interested parties. I have a letter form the PCC for Avon and Somerset which spells it out.

There will be more of these as councils can use the money raised and anyone who complains is shouted down as some sort of maniac. In South Glos they have also reduced limits on safe roads where they know people will still drive at the previous limit.

Car enthusiasts are an endangered species.

Cameras on the a4 at Newbury are set to ticket at 34 in a 30 and the mobile units lie in weight where you would be accelerating out of town towards a open road . Pure cash generation, I wouldn't mind but the 3 points add £50 to your insurance every time, so you get a double whammy. I wonder what the fine for a illegal plate or a miss printed plate is ?

Been like this for years in Scotland. Cross the border on A68 and then up to Aberdeen 28off cameras.got the kids to count them a few years back. Fast Road driving is going to be dead soon!!!

Saw cameras flashing on the M25 on our way to Norfolk the week before last. Didnt look like the people driving were going crazy fast just making progress. I stuck to 75 all the way round to the M11.

In the 1980s I had a Capri 2.8i company car and would really thrash it from Newcastle over the Cheviots to Edinburgh, black lines at the toll booths on the Forth road bridge, and then on to Aberdeen on those wonderful empty roads. Not a cop nor camera in sight. Ah, those were the days when I scared my managing director sh*tless on a drive down to Newcastle over Carter Bar... :devil:

Tomorrow I have to drive my son to Stansted for 07.00 and dare not plan to exceed 75 at any point on the M25, M11 for fear of cameras. Motoring in the 21st century is such fun. :(

Saw cameras flashing on the M25 on our way to Norfolk the week before last. Didnt look like the people driving were going crazy fast just making progress. I stuck to 75 all the way round to the M11.

Er... bluff! No-one can do 75mph for sustained periods on the M25 unless it's in the small hours or you're on a motorbike and know what you're doing :oops:  :getmecoat:

And yes there have been several occasions where the cameras on the gantries between 17 and 21 will flash randomly, I have seen and been flashed by them, but no ticket arrived. I guess they're still having teething troubles...

I didnt think they were using those cameras now, as they have new versions bolted to the sides of the gantrys, but I didnt want to run the risk.

Granted the east coast and the godawful a9 are full of them and it's well known that if driving on the m74 and m6 thru the borders and Cumbria you are very likely to see a speed van on a bridge. They are however very easy to spot.

The rest of Scotland is pretty much camera free with the odd few. Oh and the average ones on the a77.

Worst I've seen recently when driving to the westfield factory I came off early and went thru Wolverhampton due traffic. Oh my God the cameras were every 300 yards everywhere!!

Can I still storm across Rannoch Moor with only wandering sheep to look out for? :rolleyes:

Can I still storm across Rannoch Moor with only wandering sheep to look out for? :rolleyes:

Nope they use vans there as well.

We've stopped all this in the South, as the M4 is 3 lanes at 20mph.  This gets a bit quicker in towards Wales - its a subsidy.