Motorhomes and campervans

Kingster

This^^^

Blatgirl and I did several (6 I think) speed series seasons towing behind either an XR4x4 or a Mondeo diesel and we'd do about 8 to 10 events a year. We spent WELL under 10K for accommodation (ALWAYS nice hotels or B&B;s, just 'cos...) and we were never more than 3 or 4 miles from the event, even in darkest Devon or north of Watford! The usual process was arrive the evening before, stash the trailer with the other SS guys or in it's paddock space, stop by for a few hours for p*** taking some banter then repair to a comfy bed with air con/shower/nice bog/electricity for charging phones/battery operated tools, and of course a healthy fry up...

And lets just mention the 10K budget rolls over to insurance/mot/road tax/consumables (consumables for both the vehicle itself as well as living in the vehicle) so first year running costs may take over the initial budget because once you commit to buy, you're in for a penny, in for a pound. My point here is the ROI numbers which I think need a little more looking at.

Blatters makes a good point, but it can also be an emotive one where it's great to be at the circuit and not have to drive in etc. The opposite of course is that it's more difficult to go out to the pub for a meal with a proper motorhome. Has been done though  :d  :d

Also don;t forget a properly built Motorhome or van conversion can really hold it's value over the years. Had my'n 8 years and possibly lost £ 500 to £ 800 a year on it.

This^^^

Blatgirl and I did several (6 I think) speed series seasons towing behind either an XR4x4 or a Mondeo diesel and we'd do about 8 to 10 events a year. We spent WELL under 10K for accommodation (ALWAYS nice hotels or B&B;s, just 'cos...) and we were never more than 3 or 4 miles from the event, even in darkest Devon or north of Watford! The usual process was arrive the evening before, stash the trailer with the other SS guys or in it's paddock space, stop by for a few hours for p*** taking some banter then repair to a comfy bed with air con/shower/nice bog/electricity for charging phones/battery operated tools, and of course a healthy fry up...

And lets just mention the 10K budget rolls over to insurance/mot/road tax/consumables (consumables for both the vehicle itself as well as living in the vehicle) so first year running costs may take over the initial budget because once you commit to buy, you're in for a penny, in for a pound. My point here is the ROI numbers which I think need a little more looking at.

This is my system... and for me... is the way to go.

Nick makes a huge point re Blatters (equally valid stay at the pub option); for various reasons I've not been able to stay over at any of the club events for a few years, and that was fine, no problem. But this summer, I have been able to, and have tried to take advantage of that as often as possible.

The point is, I'd forgotten just how much you miss out on, not being able to stay as part of the camping over group. From staggering about somewhat the worse for ware in fields to sat round a cooling bbq with nothing but starlight and the embers to see by, putting the world to rights with a bunch of friends.

• Like 2

I guess the thing for us is we like camping out and I for one really enjoy the "campfire banter" side of things. So having a means to do that with the added bonus of a weekend away toy is one of the selling points.

I fully understand that it might actually be just as cost effective to do a b&b or hotel. But I think we'd rather like a camper :)

I also think that although a loo is a high priority and coach built comfort would be the ideal, we would probably manage really well with a porta potti as long as the bed was comfy!

Lots to think about and glad I asked as I'm getting some great feedback!

VW T's & Ford Tranny Campers (especially newer) can be used as everyday transport, rather than having another vehicle maintenance costs for occasional use.

Sounds like the real ?? is though, reading your posts - What level of convenience do you require, Porta Potty / Fitted Toilet / Fitted Toilet & Shower ?

Which may come down to - How often are you likely to be camping remotely?

Wendz n myself are finding a porta potty fine currently in our vw T5.

This is also something that is in the back of my mind (the use as a daily driver) and one idea is to dip my toe in the water for a year and then maybe consolidate two vehicles into one really nice one.

Yes I ignored depreciation because I never buy anything with en eye on what it might be worth when I am done with it so my numbers were wrong and favoured the buy a camper option.

Never felt we missed out on the banter TBH. All the SS folks are top boys and girls and we would rock up and join in as you would expect. Staying at an off-site does mean leaving at some point. For me that was the non-monetary price of staying at a nice gaff. The plus was that Blatgirl was with me (actually competing and annoyingly winning more pots than me, but that's another story...).

And all the previous points notwithstanding it seems to me like buying a camper is something you really want to do and that is probably the most important consideration of all. Logic often takes a back seat to desire and lets be fair, we have Westfields for toys so we're pretty good at ignoring the logic of a situation when desire kicks in :oops: Get the camper and get out there  :yes:

• Like 2

And that's the key really, buying a camper van is a heart decision, selecting one, a head decision!

• Like 1

My converted van is possibly looking for a new owner, but maybe slightly over budget at £11995

Let me know if you're interested I'll send you some info.

Rich

A bit more than planned Rich, but you never know!

SOP for a Westfield owner is usually pick a budget, then double it... :oops:  :getmecoat:

• Like 2

SOP for a Westfield owner is usually pick a budget, then double it... :oops::getmecoat:

Damn you are so right. Which is precisely how I came to 10k :)

12k will be easy then!!

• Like 1

Ah, I see your rookie mistake now, what he should have said was pick a budget and double it, but only admit to having 3/4 of what you plan to spend, as we'll spend the rest for you anyway ;)

• Like 1