Motorhomes and campervans

Kingster

So thinking of getting me one of these with a tow bar and trailer for next year's longer boring journeys and track days etc.

I reckon a fair few of you have experience in this department and wonder if my budget of £10k inc trailer would get me a decent 2 berth job?

Needs to be under 6m long in order to park off road and trailer will go under Westy in garage.

£1800.00 would get you my Brian James Minno Max...

£1800.00 would get you my Brian James Minno Max...

Got one lined up locally for £1500 :)

You will have to watch older coach built type motorhomes for damp plus other problems. No addition you will find the older ducatos like the one in the advert are under powered and drive like z commercial van. And they are tediously slow. I know I've had one. The new shape versions are night and day different to drive and are more economical too.

It depends what you intend using it for mainly.

If you intend using it for holidays then yes you need a motorhomes. If it's just for overnight at a circuit do an eBay search for race motorhomes. There's loads of converted vans on thier that will do the job just as well.

Personal circumstances meant I had to sell my coach built a few years ago but I've converted my own van now and it's much better and cheaper.

Thanks Mark - just the sort of info I am after.

I guess it is difficult to say at this stage - for me, a converted 'overnight' van would be great for going to circuits and thus being able to do more trackdays (in comfort when compared to driving there in the Westy!).

But in order to get this idea off the ground, the Mrs would like a more comfortable vehicle that we could use for the occasional long weekend away and also to encourage her to come along to the events that I'd like to attend in the Westy.

So, ideally, a coach-built type would get the team vote, but I suppose we could start off with a converted van and see how she likes it.

I have thought about buying a van and converting it - seems to be plenty of Smev gear available and also a few local companies that do conversions that I have heard of.

You could get a reasonable short wheelbase VW type 4 or maybe even type 5 for that money. Look for a 'day van' as they are cheaper than fully converted camper vans.

• Like 1

Have a look at a Mazda Bongo Chris, they are a great start to this type of thing. You don;t have to go for the fully kitted out ones, tow pretty well and convert to a bed at night. Have a look on eBay, I had a very basic one which worked great, couple of people up top and 2 down below. No sink or cooker fitted,just drive down the local pub for that. Then take a camping stove etc for meals. Did me really well for 3 years  :d  :d

• Like 2

Interesting Nick. I've been looking at Mazda Bongo's too. Look to be versatile, fun and perfect for the odd night away. Shame they are all autos but appear good value for money! I imagine better deals available in the winter.

Yep, Bongos and T4/5s are on the radar!

I just need to see how SWMBO feels about that and how that fits in with my "we can use it for short breaks too" sales pitch!

If you are depending on your wife you need to understand her needs. A toilet is a given for mine and as I could not find what I wanted at a sensible price I built mine on a 2 year Iveco van.

Had it now 10 years and been everywhere with it. Has shower etc.

If you want to buy anything, VW are way over priced as they have the "herd" mentality where they have become a style statement.

I would look at a van conversion, Ducato which for an older one you might get one or a Transit.

Here is the big question, do you actually need it? For what it will cost if you only do 4 or 5 trips go in a hotel.

• Like 1

I agree that for the wife (and my ageing bladder) a toilet is a must have. Or at least high priority.

As for "need" well not really. But we both like camping and a van would make that a bit more comfortable and ideal for trackdays and car events where hotels are not always readily available.

Definitely looking at van conversions now rather than older coach builds.

Here is the big question, do you actually need it? For what it will cost if you only do 4 or 5 trips go in a hotel.

This^^^

Blatgirl and I did several (6 I think) speed series seasons towing behind either an XR4x4 or a Mondeo diesel and we'd do about 8 to 10 events a year. We spent WELL under 10K for accommodation (ALWAYS nice hotels or B&B;s, just 'cos...) and we were never more than 3 or 4 miles from the event, even in darkest Devon or north of Watford! The usual process was arrive the evening before, stash the trailer with the other SS guys or in it's paddock space, stop by for a few hours for p*** taking some banter then repair to a comfy bed with air con/shower/nice bog/electricity for charging phones/battery operated tools, and of course a healthy fry up...

And lets just mention the 10K budget rolls over to insurance/mot/road tax/consumables (consumables for both the vehicle itself as well as living in the vehicle) so first year running costs may take over the initial budget because once you commit to buy, you're in for a penny, in for a pound. My point here is the ROI numbers which I think need a little more looking at.

VW T's & Ford Tranny Campers (especially newer) can be used as everyday transport, rather than having another vehicle maintenance costs for occasional use.

Sounds like the real ?? is though, reading your posts - What level of convenience do you require, Porta Potty / Fitted Toilet / Fitted Toilet & Shower ?

Which may come down to - How often are you likely to be camping remotely?

Wendz n myself are finding a porta potty fine currently in our vw T5.