Snetterton track day videos 20th July

Andrew

Snetterton 300 with MSV.

Having never done Snetterton before, I thought it was about time to get it ticked off. To be brutally honest, there was never much appeal.. At the top of the unappealing list was the 500 mile round trip, followed by, it's flat, infield looks a bit Micky mouse, and straights too long for my gearing.

Had a fairly good trip down all be it a bit uncomfortable in a car with no air con, and outside temp showing 34deg! Met up with a pal, put up tents, walked (yes all of it!) the circuit.. more for the exercise than actually learning anything.. couple of beers and bed.

The day dawned, beautifully clear blue sky, and temperature heading north of 30deg very early. It was obviously going to be a day of watching gauges. Signed on, did sighting laps etc etc..

There were four Westys in our garage, my own Pinto powered beast, plus Busa, Zetec and S/C Duratec variants. There was also another guy in a black Megabusa? we spoke at the end of the day, on here?? ..no idea..

So, onto the driving. I soon found I could only get a handful of laps in before oil and coolant temps got a bit worrying. However it only took one lap coasting round in top gear to quickly bring the temps back down, so I could either go for another blast or come in to the pits. Tbh, four or five laps of the big circuit it that heat was enough for the driver even if the car could do a couple more!

My worries about my gearing proved to be unfounded.. just! A pinto at 7000rpm at 120mph does nothing for the nerves. I could just hold it flat up to the brake board at the end of Bentley straight. I would say the placement of the board was a bit early, as every time I braked, I instantly knew I could have braked later.. 7200rpm maybe..eek!

There are a lot of corners in the 300, twelve I reckon? ..that's a lot of new corners for an old dog to learn, so needless to say I was off the pace of the others. A couple of them having more experience of the circuit than me.

But.. the big BUT, I loved it! I shall be back again sometime I reckon to put right all the wrongs that are blatantly obvious to spot on the videos, but never seem to register in car on the day!!

The perfect day however didn't end too perfectly. We left the circuit around 5-30 to 6pm, got stuck in a jam on the A1 about 7-30, and didn't clear it until 12-40 am! I got home at 4-15am. A journey that should take around 4hrs took about 11. :cry:

Anyway.. a couple of vids:

First one, I went out as tail end charlie, and just about hung on with the aid of some traffic, then slowed to cool the car.

Next, chasing Matt in his Megabusa, until I rattled the grass- crete, and I guess it dislodged a wire or something, oil pressure gauge was reading horrendously high! so came back in. (Not investigated it yet, but definitely an electrical problem)

:t-up:

• 2 months later...

Enjoyed the vids, I should do Snetterton

That was a while ago! :laugh: Summer, a long lost memory.. The 300 circuit is definitely worth doing Russ, pretty sure I'll be down there again next year sometime. :yes: 

Cool, I think I'm track dates out now til next year.

Got a wedding to pay for Clegg - and if i carry on at my rate, a subsequent divorce

Got a wedding to pay for Clegg - and if i carry on at my rate, a subsequent divorce