• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

....Norton Question

FATBOY

As for debugging windows device drivers  you ever tried to debug any  MS-DOS debug  er not possible.  You need to use something like SoftICE which is pretty much a device driver in its own right that sits in the operating system and lets you press CTRL+D whenever you like to step through the code (only if you have a symbol file for the code you are trying to debug)

??? ....OK, I’ve read this paragraph front ways, side ways and even had the wife hold my legs while I read it upside-down. I invited the neighbours round and they read it singly and in a group. I email the text to my brother in Australia who passed it around the cricket ground while England were getting soundly thrashed. I even sent a copy to my old classics professor (who, Incidentally, translated the 2nd  and 3rd Dead Sea Scroll sections), who showed it to his colleagues at the high table before sending it on to his daughter who commissions programmes for the BBC. She took it to a scheduling meeting and asked if they could make a series out of it. Finally the text has returned to me as part of a chain email from someone called, Karma Kipper, who claims to be the exiled son of Freddy Hussein, Sadam’s b******d brother. Throughout this epic voyage of discovery no one I have met, spoken with or even become conjoined on a metaphysical level has the slightest idea what it means.

:0 .......and no, my subscription is as fresh as an Irish kipper.

Sorry about that :)

I was in some sort of drunkenn rant mode last night - not even sure I understand what it means this morning LOL

Maybe I will conduct a soberness check before posting hehehe

You say its Norton 2001 - I used to use McAfee virus scan years ago.  They did something rather interesting with their software which kinda of encouraged you to keep buying the next version.  After a certain period the virus scan engine in the version installed would become out of date as a new version came along.  McAfee used to make it so the very latest virus definition files were incompatible with the scan engine - therefore to get the most 'up to date' protection you just had to upgrade.

I wonder if something like that has happened ? - I've not had my copy of norton for over a year yet - so I'm not sure how it will behave when it begins to age if you know what I mean.

Ian.

???….Ian, I did renew my subscription when the year ran out and all worked OK for about 2 months. Now, when “Liveupdate” goes through the normal routine of checking for updates it keeps telling me everything is up-to-date. So unless Norton have released no new updates for months this is patiently not true. I’ve gone to the Norton site which is about as helpful as a Catterham(sic) salesman with piles.

My Norton updates are received quite regularly  ???  ???  Wot name are you using, perhaps they can't cope with multiple personalities  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:

Yob Tvoyu Maht

The best is a matter of opinion, but a supplier which sends you the recipe as they cure the infection seems to me to be ideal!

Try Kaspersky

But don't forget until multiple anti-virus suppliers existed there were more journalists writing about virus than infections, truly a case of the market expanding to meet demand! :p  :p