Looking to buy a Westie and new to WSCC

Josh Lawson

Hi All,

This is my first note on WSCC. I have been saving for a number of years for my first seven... and want a Westie. I have done lots of reading but know very little...I haven't even driven one yet (only a caterham).

I have arranged to pick up my first Westie on Sunday, a red one with a 1.8k VVC motor. Has any one come across this car or would have any advice for me looking to inspect my first purchase?

Purchase price is £8750 I think this is the right price but would welcome comments.

many thanks,

Josh

Welcome Josh

I started off in a similar fashion buying a starter kit without having driven anything other than a Caterham.

I do not regret it one little bit!

As for "is the price ok" well that depends entirely on condition and specification because our cars are often wildly different even with the same "headline" spec. Things that add value for one buyer might put off another too (like an aeroscreen or cage) and it also depends on what you want to get out of it like touring or track days.

We all like pictures so post some as soon as you can.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. If its the red one on Pistonheads  with the VVC and black interior, looks very tidy. Enjoy and take it easy in the beginning.

As above,take your time when you first start using it!

Lightweight rear wheel drive cars catch a lot of people out unfortunately,especially this time of year with changeable road conditions.

• Like 1

If you have not bought it yet and it's the first one you've looked at, take a moment to consider things. Get detailed spec including build history. What has been done to engine and what gearbox, ECU, induction and exhaust does it have? What suspension and setup? Widetrack? Tyres? Seats? All matter!

Do not buy the first one you view unless you go back to it after copious amounts of research (in my opinion)

Welcome Josh,

I can only reiterate what the others have said; try and view as many Westfields as you can before deciding - even if its just getting along to a meet or two and having a good close look at other members cars!

There's so much variety of spec, trim, powertrains etc and all will make for slightly different driving experiences. The key is finding a combination that both suits you now and gives room to grow and tweak the car in the future, if your requirements change.

The Rover engine is very rare in Westfields; it's never been a factory fit engine, they've been more Ford based over the years, with a few exceptions. Maybe it's the association of the K series with Caterham that put Westfield owners off? Regardless, the K in its different guises is an absolute corker of an engine for a seven type car. It's compact, it's lightweight for it's size and they can make good power. (Though the highest of power versions can be a little more fragile/need a little more TLC than big power versions of some other engines.

The big question you need to ask yourself, (if you haven't already), is are you looking for a project or a car to have fun driving.

If it's the latter, then with any second hand Westfield, condition and build quality are everything, as it's the standard of those rather than necessarily age that will give you reliability.

Good luck and have fun with your search. 

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your comments. Here is the link to the car. The only trouble is it is a 6 hour round trip drive for me so to see it, I would like to bring it home.

Any thoughts/comments/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Josh

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/westfield/other-models/2002-westfield-sei/5492722

Every one has mentioned build quality... Sounds odd... But how do you tell?

Looks nice tbf :)

Perhaps ring Westfield to back up his claims about them building it before viewing?

Hi Big Als,

That is very generous of you. I am in London, Barnet

Josh, its well worth having a look and a sit in one before you buy. I did exactly that as Im 6'2" and the car I was interested in was a bit of a distance away. So finding a local owner gave me the opportunity to see if I could fit! It also gives you the opportunity to ask questions etc.

hi Josh, i am down the M4 J14 in hungerford, the Berkshire meet is this Sunday in reading,  see below i am not sure how many cars will be there as i have never attended as its a bit of a drive for me, it might be worth asking on the thread below who is attending to see if you could have a chat,

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/118923-thames-valley-meet/

alternately drop Andy banks a msg as he is the north london Ao 

North London Area Meet
description

Where: Generally the Ace Cafe London, Ace Corner North Circular Road, Stonebridge NW10 7UD, but also at various area pubs - check website for details
When: Third Wednesday of the month at 7 PM
Area Organiser: Andy Banks
Email: northlondon@wscc.co.uk

HTH Alan