Go Pro alternatives?

JamesR

I've got a Dazzne p3. Happy with it. £100 and you get lots of mounts as standard. 1080/60 wifi, mobile app, slow mo.

I tried a foscam AC1080 which was fine for a while, but tbh when I replaced it with a GoPro 4 Silver, I was blown away with the improved video quality.

I also use the smart remote (worn as a wrist band) which controls functionality effortlesly, even from over 100m away (although I haven't yet found a practical use for that).

I mount it on the roll bar with a mount picked up on Ebay for buttons.

External microphone essential for roll-bar mounted action, a couple of spare batteries and a car charger too.

They are expensive and they're probably a little over-priced but I believe you get what you pay for.

Amazon were doing a deal at the time which dwayed me and saved about £70 but that was last summer.

The one place the Qumox falls short is the lack of external microphone input.

I have found (on my gopro) that a simple way to improve the sound quality without an external mic is a layer of masking tape over the mic port. It acts like a high-pass filter. Not as good as an external mic, but a big improvement over nothing.

I have found (on my gopro) that a simple way to improve the sound quality without an external mic is a layer of masking tape over the mic port. It acts like a high-pass filter. Not as good as an external mic, but a big improvement over nothing.

My FauxPro is in its ventilated case (like the waterproof one but with slots) and I stuffed the vents with foam. No better...  I'll have to try the masking tape idea - it cannot be worse than the tearing wind noise.

Admit to being a GoPro fan.

My Hero 4 Session has excellent sound when Quad biking and Skiing. Although max speed for those around 90km/hr so looking forward to seeing how it copes on a trackday.

I've also got the SJ4000w and find it great and it was good value too. I could have several pointing in different directions for the cost of a go pro. I've got some extra batteries for it also that did not cost the earth. 

I also purchased one of these roll bar mounts and have been very satisfied with it. 

+1 for the SJ4000W, totally pants on sound but came with a roll bar mount and write remote so I could start stop whenever.

Cheers for all the feedback, all - 

After reading a ton of different reviews, I went full circle and took a punt on a Go Pro with an external mic in the end.

Will try to get it set up and get some footage on the way to the Coleford Car Carnival next week, and post some up here if anyone's interested.

Ta!

James

• Like 1

i have just gone for the tomtom bandit  will report back if any good soon and also got kit vision splash for £28 off ebay from voda phone shop . both hd and waterproof.

first impressions both very nice quality . will find out film quality soon 

The entry price £110 Go Pro would be good enough for our needs. Don't see any need for a more expensive camera myself.