• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Go Pro alternatives?

JamesR

Morning all,

Have been thinking of picking up a Go Pro (or similar) with a mount for the roll bar and wondered if anyone had any recent experience or recommendations?

I'd like something that supports 1080p / 60fps but without the Go Pro price tag ideally.

I've had a nose on Amazon and it looks like there are lots of cheaper products out there, but the reviews are all screwed on Amazon these days now that the marketplace sellers give away free products in return for positive reviews.   :no:

What about a reconditioned one? They're being sold on ebay

That's a possibility - hadn't thought about 2nd hand to be honest.

Just been reading up about Go Pro sound issues, even with the newest models which is kinda putting me off.  I like the idea of the wifi option to be able to control it from your phone when you're all strapped in, however apparently it's a known issue that the wifi module causes interference on the mic.  Some kind of screening issue I think.  Definitely veering away from Go Pro .....

Also just noticed - this thread probably isn't in the right place (sorry!) - Happy for a mod to move it if required?    :)

J

I bought a Garmin virb elite which I'm very happy with. I chose it over a go pro as it has GPS and Accelerometer in built unlike the go pro. Which makes adding widgets to your videos for speed and track position really simple. Plus has a remote or you can use your phone over Wi-Fi.

Here's a link to one of my videos

• Like 2

I have an older GoPro HD and frankly disappointed with it. The sounds rubbish, fogs up on previous track days, and just a bit temperamental in general.

• Like 1

Will have a nose at what Garmin have got these days - Thought they only did sat nav's to be honest!

Great video btw, although looks like you didn't have the best of luck out there!  What happened at the end?  Looks like it could have been expensive?

I think an external mic is the way to go, mainly just to cut out the wind noise.  I found another thread that suggests mounting it at the back of the transmission tunnel under the dash, or even somewhere in the engine bay.  Would be nice to get maximum exhaust tone without the wind rush ideally.

Great video btw, although looks like you didn't have the best of luck out there!  What happened at the end?  Looks like it could have been expensive?

Thanks, yeah was pleased how the video came out and only took 30mins to edit it all together and add the widgets, I have noticed the speedo was out of sync in some cases but there has been a software patch recently that resolved this...will find out this Sunday at Rockingham!

I was running a wet sump set up on a Hayabusa engine and the con-rod decided to make a bid for freedom out the side of the engine block (Was pushing my luck taking it to Goodwood). The engine wasn't salvageable so I ended up sourcing a refreshed engine from Mistral as well as an SBD dry sump kit.

I've got an SJ4000 does 1080p but not in 60fps. But it does do 720p @ 60fps. 

They do a wifi version and the sound is pretty good. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SJCAM-Multi-function-SJ4000-Waterproof-wide-angle/dp/B00N7CFXF0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1458049052&sr=8-3&keywords=sj4000+wifi

Good value for money. 

Here's a link to one of my videos... 

External mic for a GoPro definitely - assuming you're interested in sound quality of course...

I've got an SJ4000 does 1080p but not in 60fps. But it does do 720p @ 60fps. 

They do a wifi version and the sound is pretty good. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SJCAM-Multi-function-SJ4000-Waterproof-wide-angle/dp/B00N7CFXF0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1458049052&sr=8-3&keywords=sj4000+wifi

Good value for money. 

Here's a link to one of my videos... 

I have one uncannily similar - but not the same! SJ4000 and Qumox SJ4000 are different makers' products I believe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HJMU2IW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I am very happy with mine and it compares in picture quality very well with my son's Gopro Hero2. Its facilities are better in that it has an LCD screen and so far hasn't 'bricked' itself unlike the Hero2. I had to freeze the Hero2 for half an hour (yes, in the freezer!) and download new firmware before it would operate properly. 

I use 720p because the computer I had when I bought the camera was too slow to handle 1080p. The difference is minimal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjnaCK1po-E

Youtube degrades the quality a bit and the sound is poor because of wind noise.

I have the SJ4000 (it's different from the Qmox) - it's great. 1080p at 30fps is enough for me. 

I've not found an action cam with decent sound yet. I bought a separate audio recorder (Tascam DR05 I believe) to capture audio. It's the only thing I could find that doesn't clip the audio in a Westie at full chat. It's a faff of course, synching the audio in software. The built in mic in the SJ4000 is acceptable if you are not worried about it being a bit muffled and easily overwhealmed out of it's case