Ford Focus ST as a daily driver

John K

OK, I'm fully expecting the Fiesta to be house fly nippy and I was worrying that a back to back test with a 'lardy fat a$$' of a DERV (Wee Wee of the Devil) Focus would show the Focus in a really bad light.

Especially seeing how a more nimble Petrol (Go Juice of the Gods) Focus would be coming along soon.

So did some googling and according to the specs:

Petrol ST 1,458kg

DERV ST 1,464kg

6kg of difference between the Oil Burner and a Petrol..? How is that possible..???

OK it will be down on power but it looks like I will get the feel for the chassis and ride as if it was a Petrol.

What did they make the DERV engine out of... Unobtanium..?

Remember the DERV may be down on power but it will have more torque 

I did't want to say it out loud...BUT... I drive a VAG 1.9 pd in a seat Altea as my daily drive.  Its had a mild rechip to 130 bhp.  Its not a sports car but it is not trying to be either.    I've owned diesels for the last 22 years.  Starting with non turbo 54bhp 1.6 diesel in a cavalier estate. 1.7td cavaliers x2. Vectra 2.0 td x2,  a 2.5 bmw td (chiped to 165) in a reliant scimitar (seriously sideways), a T25 camper with a golf 1.9 90bhp ... .    On day to day driving the torque of modern diesels does a very good job of hiding the comparative lack of power.   But its a different driving style some folk like others not.  Its entirely a personal thing.  Without any effort your at max torque and accelerating almost to the max but without revving the car ..  Just then you want more and start reving the %$^% of it like you would with a petrol you don't get much more zoom just more noise!. 

I was not going down that route, as a diesel daily drive I know the benefits a good modern diesel brings to every day driving.

It may be interesting to see what John thinks once he's driven the the petrol Fiesta and Focus ST and the Diesel ST. I don't think there is any difference in purchase price between the ST-2 in either form but I don't know what the comparative residuals and running costs would be, As John is low mileage drive I don't think the economy would make much difference.

I've driven all the ST's quite a bit, so looking forward to seeing what you think, John.

Thanks to all those with DERV related comments.

I make nasty comments about oil burners being the work of Satan - but I do realize for any body who drives a normal sort of pattern up to the M6 Munchers a DERV makes all the sense in the world.

My regular cabby has the 190bhp Skoda Superb and I am in awe of how that thing gathers speed in a high gear from low revs. It really is a wave of torque.

However as folk have picked up, this is 'why the hell not' purchase.

Westie for really silly days

Mundane for tip runs and being sensible

I want something in the middle -something that makes the B4632 to SuA a hoot

And for me a hoot is all about balancing the chassis on the throttle and I still think you need a screamy rev hungry petrol for that. And yes, yes, yes... I know if I was that much of a purist NA is the way to go, not forced induction...

But looking at the specs, cos the petrol is blown, it only gives away 50 lb/ft to the DERV, admittedly I bet they are at different rev points.

I am REALLY looking forward to comparing both types of engine, but whilst I know I will walk away admiring the DERV, I bet I will want the Petrol...

To put it in context, I admire Angela Merkel, but I want Charlize Theron...

And I've been meaning to ask...

Does anybody have a Ford with the electronically flappy wing mirrors?

Do they ONLY fold up when the car is locked, or can I fold them up on demand and still drive the car..?

If I can override the foldup, I can actually get it down the side of the house (Fiesta or Focus)

I been thinking along similar lines recently as the memsahib's Civic is getting a bit long in the tooth and I reckon I could swing something a bit hotter as a replacement, 'cos I do most of the driving of it now we're retired anyway.  I was thinking Golf R or Civic Type R, but the Type R is probably out 'cos it's only 4 seats.  Golf R would go nicely with the Westfield and the MX5 I think.  But I'm interested in what you think to the Fords, too, John.

I have the Ford flappy mirrors and yes, you can fold them with the engine running and the car moving :)

• Like 1