Can anyone recommend a good low entry trolley jack

Sparkymart

Isn't the main issue with jacks the fact that there are no jacking points, so you're either denting the alloy or scraping the powder coating off the wishbones.  Even the ally jacks only have a thin rubber pad, so once there's the slightest angle, its metal to metal contact.

Is there a decent jack anywhere?

You need a couple of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skate-Hut-Ice-Hockey-Puck/dp/B0073UQTMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450044191&sr=8-1&keywords=ice+hockey+puck

Ice hockey pucks.  SOlid rubber and great for protecting the westfield from jack-marks/damage....

I have an arcon one from Costco.

Not the light weight aluminium one but an absolute beast of a jack! Low entry (same as the racing one) but actually better as it has a much longer reach as the low entry race ones didn't fit under my car as the low entry slopes up too soon.

I actually bought it so I could use it for Westfield and l200 I had at the time as it has a 3t weight limit.

What's the downside you say... It weighs an absolute tonne!

+1 for the arcon 3t monstrosity, same as you, it gets used on anything from Westfield to transit van! Bought it years ago, can't remember exact price, seem to recall less than 80quid

Isn't the main issue with jacks the fact that there are no jacking points, so you're either denting the alloy or scraping the powder coating off the wishbones.  Even the ally jacks only have a thin rubber pad, so once there's the slightest angle, its metal to metal contact.

On the lightweight alu jacks It's easy to carve up a thick and dense piece of rubber and bond it to the jack pad.  

Ideal situation is to have a second jack which will lift other heavier cars and a lot higher too. This the one I have http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/trolley-jacks/halfords-2-5-tonne-speedy-lift-4x4-trolley-jack and a good price too.

I have some lumps of wood to put between the jack and the Westy - one short one to go between the jack and the diff and one long one to go between the jack and the front cross member.

I seem to remember that the 9yo Blatman (whose birthday is today) published a good article on the best way to jack a Westy.

I've extracted the jacking document written by blatman.  Is there a facility to embed a document here?

BTW: it was from Westfield World May/June 2006 which can be accessed and downloaded from the library section.

WW_MayJun_2006.pdf

Edited by Dave Eastwood (gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep
Edited to add the "How to Jack" article.
  • Like 1

I've extracted the jacking document written by blatman.  Is there a facility to embed a document here?

BTW: it was from Westfield World May/June 2006 which can be accessed and downloaded from the library section.

It may be an admin thing Craig. If you email be the extracted document, I'll add it to the post.

• Like 1

Dave: emailed you the pdf at cheshire@wscc.co.uk

thanks

attachicon.gifWW_MayJun_2006.pdf

I've added the article to your post Craig.  :yes:

• Like 1

AdamR did a jacking article for WW more recently as well.

The ali 'motorsport' jacks will reach a crossmember from front or back (from the back you do lose  a little of the full arc of the handle travel, but it works) I never lift the car from anywhere else. 

You do need a smooth floor those little wheels will roll on, or the action of the jack will pull the car towards you quite a bit. 

On the rare occasions I want the whole car up I found a quite effective way is to reverse it onto a pair of ramps, then jack and support the front.  Ratchet strap a wheel to the ramp for 'belt and braces'.

Your main dilemma might be - is one half the weight worth twice the price?  Yes - every time you use it, and especially given that nowadays we may need our skeletons intact for longer than we historically might have.

I keep looking at this one http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/trolley-jacks/tj3lp-low-profile-garage-trolley-jack but I just keep thinking will it be to big for a small garage but I could use it on the land rover as well, but the small aluminium one should be a lot easier to move around but less lift hight