Woodford Air Museum from Cat and Fiddle, Sun 29 Nov, Peak District

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

The AVRO Heritage Museum, Woodford Aerodrome has just recently opened and being only a half hour drive from the Cat and Fiddle I thought it might be worth a little look at.

It is £8 per person with free parking and a cafe on site where we can get some lunch.

Meet at The Cat and Fiddle, Buxton Road, Macclesfield, SK11 0AR at 10.30 am on Sunday 29th November. I will aim to set off at 11am after a tea and a wee, arriving at the museum at 11.30 am.

The museum is on Chester Road, Stockport, SK7 1AG if you want to meet us there.

Who is coming?

That sounds interesting…….just got to get my alternator fixed again and we will be ready for the weekend action  :d

• Like 1

Sorned now for winter! The snow last Friday tells me the salt wagon will be out, so till March, maybe April

Let's make a start on that suspension upgrades.....

let me ask mrs panda as i'm 4 streets (long streets) from there

Pleeease Mrs Panda. think of the brownie points you will earn, just before Christmas.

Yet another one can't make :( :( :(

I'm sure you've access to my Calendar and are picking dates I've got other commitments :p:d

Andy is swearing, using the 'S' word, tut, SORN, tut. We going to have to have words, don't be scared to bring Henry like you did last time though.

And Dave, fancy being so popular eh.

Forecast is rain coming in Saturday, then rinse and repeat for Sunday, so, the roof is here in the lounge with us, warming up and tomorrow we will be putting it on, for the whole weekend it seems. I want cold, bracing air and the wind in my face, why can't it be weather like it was today? that was perfect.

Well I've given up on the wet carpets so they are now removed! Lighter and faster now..... bonus!!!!

• Like 1

A slight change of plan. The museum has only been open for 2 weeks so the cafe is not fully up and running. We all know that is no good for us hungry monsters, so across the road there is Woodford Park Garden Centre. That has a cafe which overlooks the lake and gardens, we will be having an early lunch there at 11.30 am. We aim to be at the museum for 12.30/1pm.

It is 90% indoors with just the Vulcan outdoors and it takes around 2 hours to complete the visit. I expect to leave around 3 pm and hopefully get home in the light, even if it is in the wet!

I'm going to bash that into google can't be far away.

Bob :d

• Like 1

How ironic from my last posting, sat nav malfunction but got there eventually. Good to meet up with Julie, Glen and the guys. Museum was new and we had a guided tour with plenty of special attention. Good afternoon out well done Julie.

Bob

• Like 2

Ooops we did it again! The Vulcan Bomber

AVRO%20Woodford%202015%20007_zpsf7tghpro

We met Martyn and Sue, and Richard and James at the Cat and Fiddle, where it was a touch breezy. Dragging ourselves away from the real fire we set off into new territory.

The Cat and Fiddle

AVRO%20Woodford%202015%20002_zpsla0mnvul

We slowly and carefully wiggled off down the twists and turns, as leader I lost control first. It was different to the sideways slur of a couple of weeks ago, you just had to sit that one out until you regained grip on the road. Today this was a skid, turn into it and straighten up quick before you end up on the wrong side of the road. Next minute, Martyn was in my rear view mirror doing the same thing. So I slowed down even more and I am watching Martyn then I hear the familiar Pinto growl and he is off again, naughty. When we arrived at Woodford he had this daft Westfield smile on his face.

We got lunch but couldn't find Bob. To cut a long one short he made it to the car park and led the line of 3 Westfields into the AVRO museum over the road. Firstly we went for our photo with the Vulcan as it was not raining. Then we went on our guided tour and finished off with a cockpit experience.

The museum, cleverly done in date order like Gaydon, showing which planes were made and when. I am off to find out what the difference is between a radial engine and a rotary engine??

AVRO%20Woodford%202015%20018_zpsr9j0hxix

The Vulcan cockpit. There is no room, you cannot see anything out of the windows and there are 3 million buttons in it. It smells lovely but I can't place the aroma, it is annoying me. It's not the oil/leather of a classic car, but it is similar.

AVRO%20Woodford%202015%20016_zpsnytcvrk8

Not a bad view from the cafe

AVRO%20Woodford%202015%20020_zpsd3gg6xah

As a car club we were made very welcome, many of the staff were car enthusiasts. We expressed our gratitude for the photo opportunity and made our way back into the Peak District and home. Thank you to everyone for joining us in yet more foul weather.

• Like 1

Hi Julie, thanks for organising this weekend.

Just had a txt from Baby Bio (James) saying what a great time he had over the weekend and that I was lucky to have such nice friends.

Here's a couple of my pics

One of the Vulcan

IMG-20151129-WA0013%201_zps3h9aza9f.jpg

and one of another nice fire with Rickyboy's daughter enjoying the warmth :-)

20151128_144503_zpsspseuu5o.jpg

Look out Carlsberg, if Julie starts brewing?  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Regards

Richard

• Like 1