Westfield MX5

1pearman

Hi all,

I’ve got a nice little project for sale. In summary I purchased the car a few years ago from a car dealer. He purchased it with the intention of doing the work with his son but never did. The original owner was a professional builder who lost his garage space. This was one of the cars he had in build stage. It’s a slightly unusual combination of parts due to the time the car has been ‘in build’. The chassis dates to around 2006 and I have all of the original paperwork and receipts from Westfield with a full delivery list of parts. I also have a full folder of receipts for all of the parts on the car, including the mx5 logbook for retaining the age related plates. I’d really like to finish it myself but a young family and VW T5 camper in conversion along with a time consuming hobby of riding bikes means it going to be sat in my garage for a few more years doing nothing at the current rate. I’d rather move it on and let someone else have a crack at it, and get the camper finished as that’s going to be more fun for my little boy. I’m not going to give it away as I have the backup of giving it to my Dad to finish in the summer, but I’d only be selling it post IVA anyway. I’m happy for anyone to come and have a look at it, but please bear in mind it’s not test driveable, but can be driven out of the garage.

Spec:

Chassis – SEIW 

Bodywork – ZK, postbox red, separate rear arches, carbon dash

Engine – mx5 mk1 with V5 logbook and matching numbers. It’s a 91’ engine so is a higher bhp output than the later ones

Transmission – mx5 mk1 (same car as engine)

Diff – Sierra

Front hubs / brakes – ford (Sierra I think)

Dash – New Acewell digidash (speedo wire and tacho wire needs connecting)

Seats – standard padded bucket style seats

Seatbelts – donor mx5, but seats are slotted for harness if required

Fuel tank – Alloy Racing Fabrications bespoke tank with internal baffles and baffled sump

New High pressure inline fuel pump & inline filter

New 15” Alloy wheels (slight crazing to the coating in places)

New tyres

Carpets fitted – need refitting/tidying

New polo radiator and red silicone hose plumbing

New belts

Mx5 original padded momo steering wheel with collapsible boss (quick release also fitted)

When I got it, it had the mx5 clocks fitted but I soon found out the speedo would never work accurately due to the drive from the sierra diff being different to the mx5 diff. The Speedo is driven from the transmission so the rear wheel speed would be different. I sourced a replacement scuttle (this is in blue as I was going to wrap it in carbon vinyl, along with the wings), and a carbon dash, along with digital dash. This is currently in fitting stage with the dash cut to shape but some trimming needed for a perfect fit. The wiring on the dash is 90% done with the rpm wire to connect and the speedo wire to be routed to the rear wheel or driveshaft (both very simple 10 min jobs).

I have replaced the fuel tank with a bespoke made to measure one from Ally Racing Fabrications, and plumbed this in with an inline pump and filter, and vent valve on top as per regulations. I have added led indicators to the cycle wings and rewired the flasher unit with a new resistor so led’s can be used in conjunction with the standard 12v bulbs. I have also just replaced both front upper ball joints as the rubber has split. I’ve fitted a brand new radiator with new silicone hoses all around the car where possible. 

The car does not have wipers fitted, and my plan was to IVA it with no screen, and then fit the screen for driving between MOT’s (not driving in the wet). It comes with shortened screen pillars (which still work fine with the standard screen supplied) and a pre-cut aero screen that slides into the grooves of the pillars where the screen fits. The pillars are Westfield and have mirrors fitted as standard.

As far as I am concerned the following needs to be done before IVA:

Speedo connecting

Tacho wire connecting

Digidash fitting to dash

Switches fitting to dash (these are wired and working but loose)

Dash trimming/sanding on some edges and fitting in place

Scuttle fixing in place (currently sat on car but fixing holes from previous scuttle are already there (I will supply the old scuttle which gives you a template for the screen pillar holes – one of which can be used for the separate mirrors for IVA – also supplied)

A few bits needs riveting to the engine bay side of the scuttle. These are all in place with mounting brackets ready to mount when the scuttle is fixed. (or replaced with a red one if you want)

Rear fog lens replacing (standard land rover I think) as the current one has cracked.

Exhaust heat shield fitting (supplied)

Access hole cover panel making for passenger side transmission tunnel (couple of inches square when I accessed the reverse light switch)

Engine timing (simple turning of the Cam Angel Sensor)

Aside from the above which is to the best of my knowledge, the car needs a good going over and getting IVA ready with covering of sharp edges and radiuses etc – although a lot of this is already done from the original builder as he went. It’s mainly the new stuff I have added/amended that needs looking at. Aside from that it also needs the usual setting up with regards to brakes (although these appear fine to me), light aiming, suspension tuning etc. I would like £6k for the car and all of the bits I have for it. I believe everything is there for finishing and only IVA trims would need to be purchased unless you wanted to take the car in a different direction.

Please let me know if you are interested or have any questions by sending a PM

Pictures are of when i purchased the car (scuttle is new and now blue, carbon dash is being installed, all pipes are now red silicone hoses, new rad etc)

_12h.jpg

_12.jpg

_1b2.jpg

_1m2.jpg

_12c.jpg

_1f2.jpg

_k12.jpg

_n12.jpg

l_12.jpg

_kl12.jpg

• 1 month later...

It says he'd like about £6k, third para from the end.

"I would like £6k for the car and all of the bits I have for it. I believe everything is there for finishing and only IVA trims would need to be purchased unless you wanted to take the car in a different direction."

Personally I'd add some recent pics with the updates showing - especially the wheels as the ones shown really don't suit the car :)

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.