What is the best gearbox for a westfield?

Snappy

Not much, it seems to be the "coming thing", but not really heard a successful start to finish job on a Westfield yet, though I'm sure at least one was underway - I can't remember who was doing it.

Before deciding on the  Mega S2000 kit, I was desperate to get rid of my Quaife Pro box, (loved the ratios, but after six or seven years, just couldn't take the Straight Cut noise anymore), I spoke to SPC several times about the Tracsport at the time, I guess it would have come down to that or one of the dearer BGH boxes, though I marginally preferred Steve's Tracsport ratios. (That was three years ago now, more choices may be available now).

I'll be interested to hear more on the Mazda boxes in Westfields though, we could certainly do with some alternatives.

The 'box for my old sprint car was built for me by Steve Perks (SP Components) and worked perfectly. And that was with an engine running up to 9,000 rpm and knocking out 272 bhp, and around 180 lbs/ft of torque. It was based on the type 9 Ford 'box, and never gave me any trouble.

• Like 1

Would echo Dave's point about a straight cut box (Quaife type 9 sprint ratios in my case) - that if you are planning on doing a lot of touring, the noise will get to you (or your passenger!), despite the obvious competition / strength advantages of a SC box.

Great when you are pressing on, and using the box as its designed, but get to a long road section in 5th and its earplugs time...or run in 4th which is direct.

Dave.

• Like 1

Its an impossible task to make recommendations without knowing more about your car.

Engine power / torque plot

Max revs

Diff ratio

Wheel / tyre size

Intended purpose etc etc

Its an impossible task to make recommendations without knowing more about your car.

Engine power / torque plot

Max revs

Diff ratio

Wheel / tyre size

Intended purpose etc etc

Controversy alert...

I quite like my standard type 9 - except for first gear!  And this is why John's questions are so pertinent.  My C20XE has 165 ftlbs of torque, I do the occasional track day but blasting (or cruising) through the countryside does not require heaps of gearchanges because the Westy can pull itself out of slow corners really well.  I've heard of ultra close ratio boxes with a 1st gear ratio very close to my 2nd so it does need thinking through carefully.

• Like 1

All true, hence my suggestions right back at the start, but if you read the OP's responses, he seems to have done that bit and is really after specific recommendations/experience of the products themselves, I may have read it wrong, but I think what he's actually after is more reliability info and "did it live up to expectations" type stuff. Having been previously dissapointed with an early fail on a reconditioned standard gearbox.

• Like 1

I with you john!

The title is a bit of an open question.

And Rorys Dad I am with you too, I would have been quite happy to with the standard type nine if it worked but mine didn't!

Then once your looking at a new one this opens up the chance to look for something else?

My main interest isn't then a specific specification more a case of what have other owners bought and then to get a feel of the main respected builders and peoples general experience of living with there chosen box.

My tuppence worth:

First box - standard type 9, short input shaft, standard ratios, crossflow 130bhp, 3.9 open diff - nice gear change, great on road, ratios didn't match up to cam so frustrating on track

Second box - bought from Dave E and fully rebuilt with Quaife HD Pro straight cut close ratio gear set, ratios 2.39, 1.54, 1.21, 1, 0.87, LSD with 4.1 diff ratio and now standard XE 180bhp (ish). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Best 'box I've ever used, gear change is sublime and the long first is fantastic. It was built by Windy on here and the straight cut gears are no issue at all. Whine only really apparent in 5th but its fine, can still chat happily with passengers etc. I have heard others complain about s/c whine but I wonder if that's a build or gear oil thing?

Anyway you asked for opinions and that's mine - you get what you pay for!

• Like 1