Hello from Wiltshire!

JamesR

Evening all,

I've been lurking on the site for a few weeks so thought I should finally sign up and introduce myself.

My name's James and i live in Wiltshire with my wife and a couple of dogs.

I've sold myself on the idea of a new Westfield modular kit build in the next couple of months and am very keen to get started!  This site looks like a brilliant source of information, and from what I've seen so far, a great group of helpful and supportive people!

I look forward to contributing towards the discussions, and annoying you all with typical newbie questions   :)  

Cheers!

James

Evening James & welcome,

Will look forward to another build thread & photos!

Andy

Hi James,

Quite a few of us in the Swindon area, many having been through our own builds. Are you planning on coming to the Cotswolds meet on Thursday?

• Like 1

Hi and Welcome!

Ask all the questions you like, it's surprising how often even the commonly discussed subjects will throw up a new or different solution.

Hi James from Essex.   What a beautiful county you live in and have you decided on the body and engine yet?

Thanks very much for the warm welcome, guys!  I'm actually in Swindon too.

I checked the calendar but didn't see anything about a meet on Thurs (29th?).  I'm going to be working in Cardiff that day, but would love to try and make it along in the evening if I can.  Especially if I get a chance to have a look at a few posh motors!   :)  Please can someone point me the right direction of the meet details?

@SootySport - I prefer the look of the FW bodywork so will go down that route - no idea of a colour scheme yet.  As for the engine, I like the idea of the 2.0 Duratec, but it's an expensive option and it doesn't appear to be that popular a choice?  I'd be keen to hear people's thoughts on this.  The Mega S2000's look like huge amounts of fun, but to be honest any kind of donor kit is way outside of my comfort zone.  I'm not exactly what you would class as a competent mechanic (yet!), so even an 'all inclusive' modular build will be a steep learning curve.  That being said, I'm an annoying perfectionist and a little OCD with things like this, so I'm happy to take my time and learn as much as I can as I go.   :)

You need a trip to the factory to see Simon Westwood, he'll advise you on the best package to suit your skill level.  All the kits will require some adaptation of the drive train to complete a build. 

It's at the Golden Heart, the pub at the end of the dual carriage way bit of the A417 (coming from Swindon). Start around 19:30. Not convinced there will be too many Westfields there given the weather mind :d

• Like 1

I know the pub - just at the bottom of the little valley.  I'll try to make it if I can get back from Cardiff in time.  Cheers for the invitation, Dommo.

I think my next step is to arrange a trip to the factory for a chat and to get a little guidance.  It would be all too easy to go down the list of extras and tick all the boxes, so I need to reign myself in a little.

I'd also like to look at seating options etc. before I commit too heavily as I'm recovering from a slipped disc so I need something with a bit of lumbar support.  I don't know how realistic an expectation this is though.

Hi James and welcome

I started down exactly the same route as you.

My advice - go and speak to Simon at Westfield - have a test drive and ask him any questions you have.

There is no pressure - just a very friendly and informative meeting. I was torn between the Mega 2000 and the FW special Edition, and on Simon's advice I went for the FW Special Edition with the Zetec engine and throttle bodies.

When you are at the factory you also have an opportunity to look at all the Westfields and compare the colours. I chose the orange as a result of this.

I picked my kit up on 7 October and have just started my build. So far so good - the current manual coupled with all the information on this web site is an excellent resource.

• Like 1