Eyam Plague Village run, Sat 10th Oct, Peak District

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

MartynV and Sue, Bioman and Dave met us at the Wheatsheaf and I carefully explained the start of today's route, as we were not going direct to Eyam. We set off and immediately met a traffic jam, so that was a waste of time :) , I diverted left and came down Curbar Gap, which was a nice addition to the day.

At The Wheatsheaf.

Eyam%20run%202015%20002_zpsslqhyhqq.jpg

My turn this week, I opted for the posh version and got my wheel arch splattered with horse poo, great for gardens, bad for cars. We took the high road up Sir William Hill and slowed for the view as we passed the pub up near the gliding club, then on to Eyam.

We parked up at Eyam.

Eyam%20run%202015%20006_zpsxi0wsscw.jpg

We parked near the museum and it's clever wind vane. It's a good place to take the kids if you are ever in the area.

Eyam%20run%202015%20007_zpsn4kjp1pr.jpg

Very quickly the story goes - in 1665 a man travelled from London and carried fleas from rats in some cloth. The fleas had the very contagious plague which some people contracted. To contain the spread of the disease everyone quarantined themselves in the village and saved it from spreading to neighbouring villages. Whole families died as it spread through each house, some had only one or two remaining members left. Why are the grizzly stories always the best?

One of many information boards in the village

Eyam%20run%202015%20008_zpsk9ek6jue.jpg

The village is very pretty and a pleasure to walk through, the big carrot at the end being in the shape of a cafe where we sat outside and enjoyed our lunch. Dave, being very naughty and drink driving on the whisky soaked fruit cake.

Again, I carefully explained that we had one difficult right turn and I knew we would get split up there, so I told everyone where to take the turn after it. Good job I did because we did split there. We all met back up on the quiet road as directed, I was pleased that one went to plan. We drove through Chatsworth park and saw the deer, through the pretty village of Youlgreave, then through Biggin (no hobbits here), right up and over until we got to The Roaches Tea Room.

The outdoor seating overlooks this car park (remember this), which overlooks Tittersworth reservoir.

Eyam%20run%202015%20014_zps8gvjp33w.jpg

Bioman had a quick brew and left us, which left a gap between my car and Dave's. A disclaimer required here - this story is just the truth and there were 2 women present, I am not being sexist - a tin top came into the empty car park and someone said 'it's going to try and park in between our cars' which amazingly it did try, taking several attempts. 'I bet it's a women' someone said 'yes and she is even blonde' Needless to say she failed and parked in the big gap at the other side, but it was hilarious, unbelievable, very funny.

The hero of the day prize goes to Dave, who also managed all this cheesecake, extra to the earlier fruit cake. (the pictures you took of me, Dave, with the cake did not take, that is God's honest truth, otherwise I would have incriminated myself, imagine my delight  :p )

Eyam%20run%202015%20019_zpsd8jq45du.jpg

With 5pm approaching fast we all went our separate ways. It was fairly chilly and my new earmuffs worked a treat, stopping a freezing draft hurtling straight down my right ear hole, result.

Not my best pictures on display here as I have now just acquired 2 more for the calendar. Come on put yours in and make this the best kit car calendar you can get.

Next Sunday it is 'The B Road Special' and remember I will be out every weekend from now till Xmas (and beyond of course).

• Like 1

A really enjoyable day out after the last few weeks!

And excellent cake!!!

:bc: