Carbon nosecone

Crash test dummy

Narrow and wide are the same if it helps except for early low line versions

Narrow and wide are the same if it helps except for early low line versions

Not quite.

The narrow and early "kit" wide are the same but neither are compatible with the current wide ZK bodywork without a significant amount of fettling.

I've contacted matt at carbon mods.

They are not making any carbon bonnets or noses at the moment things It could change in the future but it is highly unlikely

Maybe Mark at carbon NV would offer if enough interest

It's certainly part of my plans, but might be a few months away yet. Given the complexities of making the part it's one that would really need to be done in pre-preg fabric and I've only recently started using it to make a few small-ish pieces

Once I'm more adept with getting good results using it, I will look to move onto bigger parts and, hopefully, that'll include nosecones. Bonnets are not on the agenda for me at the moment, as I'd need to consider sourcing a larger oven than the one I have at present to cure them properly, but I'd like them to be at some point.

• Like 1

They are not making any carbon bonnets or noses at the moment things It could change in the future but it is highly unlikely

That's a shame, my plan has always been to get a carbon bonnet..... hopefully they start making them again or someone else like nv starts.

They told me the moulds were not good enough for the bonnets to use now so 99.9% never going to happen.

Yep, moulds often require routine maintenance during the course of their life, but they do have a definite life-span. How long that is depends on a number of factors, from build quality and design/structure of the mould through to what's considered acceptable for the end product coming out of it. But once it's done, it's done and you're back to the hard work of making fresh moulds.

My sixpennyworth.

If you wish to make a proper carbon tool, to produce carbon nosecones to an acceptable and cosmetic finish takes both time and considerable expense.

Then for the time and material involved they would then have to retail at the going rate of £500 +.

A lot of money for a competition car subject to the rigours of the sport, but perhaps ok for a nice road car

There have been a few cheap and cheerful carbon nosecones about, but the price reflected their finish. :blush:

So is there enough demand for an investment to be made?

No promises, just information to put aside for a rainy day.

My sixpennyworth.

If you wish to make a proper carbon tool, to produce carbon nosecones to an acceptable and cosmetic finish takes both time and considerable expense.

Then for the time and material involved they would then have to retail at the going rate of £500 +.

A lot of money for a competition car subject to the rigours of the sport, but perhaps ok for a nice road car

There have been a few cheap and cheerful carbon nosecones about, but the price reflected their finish. :blush:

So is there enough demand for an investment to be made?

No promises, just information to put aside for a rainy day.

Is there anyone currently with bonnet moulds that are usable?

I should show up with the car so u can use the ducted nose cone for the mold and help me fit it also...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.