Lancaster Bomber Trip Sat 24th October - VIDEOS ADDED

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Andy (Greenstreak) did a marvelous job of bringing this place to my attention and Trevturtle has prompted me to arrange it, so thank you to both Andy and Trevor. On Saturday 24th October we are going to RAF East Kirby to see the Avro Lancaster Bomber NX611 'Just Jane' in our Westfields and would like you lot to come with us please.

Just Jane is at The Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre, Spilsby, Lincs, PE23 4DE and there is a 'taxi run' at 2 pm. There is a museum on site, parking is free and the entrance fee is £7. 

Meet at The Friendly Farmer, Winthorpe, Newark, NG24 2NY, it is the roundabout where the A1/A46 and A17 all meet. I suggest we meet at 10 am with a view to leaving at 11 am, this gives everyone time to get petrol and a breakfast. From there it is 1 hour to East Kirby.

Alternatively meet us there at 12.00.

Get your roofs ready and make sure your lights are set up because it might rain and it will be dark on the way home.

Who is up for it?

I've seen the lancaster taxi before when I visited in my bike days.. well worth another a visit.

There's a good display/museum with parts of crashed Spitfires, Hurricanes they have recovered from crash sites and the usual static displays

October update... never rely on remembering birthdays just using Outlook.

Just been organising my daughters 18th birthday party on the 24th..doh!

I suspect all future passouts will canceled if I miss the birthday event. ..so I will not be joining you sorry

Me, me, me!

I've been dying to this ever since Andy told me about it.

Assuming I'm in the new house, I'm up for it, never seen a Lancaster!

Only just spotted this!

Count us in!

We would also like to go. May need to meet en-route as it seems silly to travel to Newark just to drive back past our door. May revise this thought when the time comes but just needed to say we want to be there.

Andrew

Am I allowed to turn up in the tin top. :love:

Bob :d

• 2 weeks later...

East Kirkby is a special place to me, particularly so as my dad (now 90 yrs young) was based there 630 squadron. My dad was ground crew port engines. My dad and I have done the taxi in the Lanc twice. Amazing experience! Incredibly one lucky chap paid £2 for a draw, he won and did the taxi experience with us.

So yep, Julie I look forward to going. My only dilemma is should I take the tin top so my old fella can join me.

Andy

Not sure I can make it - but love the place! You have to see it - if fact it was this car that first got the wife into the idea of me building a Westfield (well, not that far off is it!)

just-jane-2013.jpg

We have also been to the 40's dances there - which take place in the hangar with Just Jane - absolutely amazing.

Great response everyone, thank you. About 12 of us so far going. We just need the same weather as that in Chris's photo.

Oh, Chris, if you not busy this weekend it's a 40's weekend at Grassington, North Yorkshire. We are going on Saturday, got a date with Captain Mainwaring and Churchill. Not sure about the dancing though.

Great response everyone, thank you. About 12 of us so far going. We just need the same weather as that in Chris's photo.

Oh, Chris, if you not busy this weekend it's a 40's weekend at Grassington, North Yorkshire. We are going on Saturday, got a date with Captain Mainwaring and Churchill. Not sure about the dancing though.

Thanks for the invite, but we're already booked up this weekend I'm afraid - where does time go...