Donor Items for "one donor" Kits & which SDV - or not to SDV?

elder

Well here is one confused Westfield shopper. I want a Westfield but which one? I started by looking at the complete 2000 Zetec kit special edition kit but have since looked at all the others as well! My use will be a road going sunny day hobby car to own for the long term. I am looking to build a car relatively quickly and then run it for a year or so before deciding where I need to spend money/ effort to improve it. My car as initially built would be a basic spec unless I was convinced by owners that something else was necessary and that not to include it initially does not make sense.

If I look at the SDV kits I have the choice of Mazda or Sierra. I note that Sierras are getting less common but I can still get one for about the same price as a MX5 and I am a little happier about the longer term spares position with a Ford which sold in its millions in the UK than a Japanese car which sold in the '000's. I might be wrong. Or I could look at the multi donor kit.

I'm guessing that the advantages of a single donor are the obvious ones of a single donor giving easy parts procurement but what are the disadvantages? What are the advantages or disadvantages in buying of multi donor kit?

Is there a list anywhere of which parts you need to get from the donor for a SDV build? I can easily find a list of what is included in the kit but not a list of what I need from the donor. Such a list would tell me a lot about the difference between the kits. I note that the Sierra completion kit includes a set of dashboard components that you presumably get from the MX5 donor

Chris

Edited by elder

I have just built a Sierra SDV, so here's my take.

Advantages:

• Cost - kit is cheaper and if you have a good condition donor, then the build is a lot less costly too
  • Doesn't look any different - well, until you know what to look for!

Disadvantages:

• Use of very old worn parts meant I actually replaced most of the donor parts with new anyway! (e.g. brakes and driveshafts)
  • Sierra SDV rear end is very wide (uses std driveshafts) so wheel choice is limited due to larger offset - but not a huge issue
  • Sierra front end uses donor uprights, so different from the 'standard' Cortina geometry used on most Westfields, so upgrades will need to be from outside the Westfield arena - but very common on other kits though, so not a huge issue.
  • Unless you have an XR4x4 as a donor, you will have push in rear driveshafts, which will make fitting LSD diff harder - but depends if you want/need one.
  • Resale value - bound to less as it costs less in the first place - but if like me you intend to keep for a long time, who cares ;)

Most of the above can no doubt be assigned to the Mazda SDV - but I'd say the donor will likely be in better nick!

The main one has to be cost - an SDV can be built for under £10k (One member mentioned recently that he did his Mazda this year for £8.5k, but does work in the trade) - whereas a full kit with all new parts can easily cost double that.

I intend to upgrade mine over time and gradually phase out the donor parts as and when replacements crop up at a decent price - plus the money I saved on a full kit will go towards nice goodies like a close ratio gearbox etc.

So it's all about your own needs/wants/priorities/budget I guess.

With my recently completed Mazda SDV I didn't have to replace many items from the donor. Obviously I got a new clutch, brake disks and pads but that's about it from memory. The only thing I remember you have to do yourself is get the prop shaft shortened.

You can have a look at my blog in reverse to see what I did with my donor vehicle.

Also here is the parts list of things needed from the donor out of the build manual

Capture.PNG

Edited to add after all the upgrades I incorporated into the build it ended up costing in excess of £12k. I could have saved £2k by not getting the roll cage and digital dash alone.

Looking at Lewis's list, I'd say the Mazda SDV has many more useable donor parts than the Sierra - and the Mazda engine will be way better than a 1980's Sierra one (IMO).

Unless you happen to have a Sierra donor kit lying in your garage (as I did) then if it's an SDV, it really should be a Mazda - there... I've said it...

• Like 1

Thank you both. That is really useful information which will take me time to digest.

I hear what you say about Sierra & Mazda mechanicals.

Do we know why the specify a 1600 Mazda when my instincts are screaming a Mk2.5 1.8?

Edited by elder

There is a thriving market for Mx5 parts, I think availability of parts now or long term isn't an issue IMO. As said an SDV can be a lot cheaper to build but it can be harder to get certain upgrades but that all depends in use and how far you plan to upgrade the car.

With a £400 donor and selling £200 worth of parts from it I will have built my Mazda SDV for £14.5k Inc. IVA. This is a little on the expensive side of an SDV it seems but I've got a billet lightweight flywheel, Playskool roll bar, Kaaz LSD, GSX-R throttle bodies, Megasquirt ECU, new discs and pads, clutch, WF manifold, Protechs and a few other bits and pieces. Take the upgrades away and I could have easily built one for £10k.

Thank you both. That is really useful information which will take me time to digest.

I hear what you say about Sierra & Mazda mechanicals.

Do we know why the specify a 1600 Mazda when my instincts are screaming a Mk2.5 1.8?

When they first made the kit it was the 1600 only. Now they officially support the 1800 too. I can't see why the Mk2.5 engine can't be used instead of a Mk1. Mine is a 1800 Mk1.

The SDV kit is designed to use the steering column and dials from the donor so I'm not sure how they vary from the Mk1 MX-5 either.

you dont have to use the clocks out of the mazda you can fit digidash unless your on a tight budget. i may be wrong but doesnt the 1.8 mk2.5 have vvt and has to have something special to do with the ecu to control like i say i may be wrong tho.

Did any of you buy the Completion Package from Westfield? Was it good value?

Not sure re the ECU. I have also heard things about anti lock braking systems which I need to investigate. Does anybody know? 

I got the starter kit from them but to help spread the cost and also to allow non standard parts I brought all the completion kit items separately.

Can't help with the Mk2.5 ECU or ABS I'm afraid. 

I bought the completion kit (with 10% off), changed a few things like I had a carbon fibre non cat silencer and got steering rack, seats and radiator from elsewhere for example.

On the whole though the first thing I said when I went through it all at home is that it's actually pretty good value for money. You get quite a lot in it including some nice touches such as a sexy Westfield gearknob.

I don't know where you are as I can't see on my phone but if you're ever over the Wirral way you're welcome to see all the bits included in the flesh, all on display in my spare room lol.

Always aim for Westfield 10% off offers. I got my starter kit in the January offer but they also have the offer at the kit shows or factory open days.

Yes always get in on the offers, I bought my starter kit on the 10% offer in Jan and then later my completion kit with 10% on the Stoneleigh offer. It will save you hundreds, near on £1k on a full kit with a couple of upgrades!

I have a 10% off until the end of August. :yes:

Kyle - I am from Norfolk so not exactly local but thanks for the kind offer.

Kingster996 - You say that the Mazda donor parts list is longer than the Sierra. Do you have a copy of the Sierra list?

Edited by elder

I have a 10% off until the end of August. :yes:

Kyle - I am from Norfolk so not exactly local but thanks for the kind offer.

Kingster996 - You say that the Mazda donor parts list is longer than the Sierra. Do you have a copy of the Sierra list?

I too got a January discount - it's the way to go!

I don't have a full list to hand, but I only ended up using the front uprights, all 4 hubs, steering column, diff & gearbox.

You can, of course, use the engine, but they are so old now, I'd doubt you would want to as there are much better options readily available. You would also be expected to use the driveshafts and brakes, but my donor items were just too rusty to use and while the uprights cleaned up, I wouldn't have trusted the brakes!

Not sure if they expect you to use the clocks off the Sierra, but can't see a world where anyone would seriously consider it as they are mingin!

You can also use the prop ends - but I just bought a new one.