• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Where to go for an overnight from Edinburgh?

silky13

I've had a couple of hard weeks away working lately, and though I was meant to be home this weekend the flight got cancelled because of work issues. Needless to say missus was a bit peeved, especially since she works shifts and had arranged to suit... 

Anyway, I managed to wangle an extra day  at home, Monday, which coincides with a couple of days off the missus had, so I was thinking of going a nice drive Monday morning with the Westy, take in some nice scenery (and roads) stay overnight Monday and be back in Edinburgh around lunch time Tuesday (just in time for flight back to Holland for work) 

Are there any runs you guys can suggest for me that would keep me happy with scenery and roads and her happy with perhaps local shops etc. 

Any help much appreciated! 

Tom

head down to dumfries down the A702 then down the dalveen pass (best road i have ever driven!), down to thornhill then dumfries and along the solway coast to maybe kipford or sandy hills to stay overnight (lovely place) then return via the A701 to moffat then hook a right and go up the A708 to selkirk (another awesome road) and A7 home!

awesome roads nice scenery and no motorway! :)

Paul  

• Like 1

Fantastic Paul! Appreciate the advice sounds a perfect plan. Will run it pass the missus and go from there! Hopefully a bit of nice weathe, Not tried out the wet weather gear yet!

Howz about going up to Braemar and Sandringham.  Speaking as a Southerner, I loved it up there especially the walks just about anywhere in the Cairngorns. Take your nice warm anoraks, you'll need them.

Lots of bed & breakfast places in Braemar but don't expect a busy nightlife, it's dead there.  Two tired old hotels full of pensioner coach parties and a restaurant that's closed Mondays.

Think you meant Balmoral as Sandringham is a bit further South.

Bob :p

Think you meant Balmoral as Sandringham is a bit further South.

Bob :p

Oh yes, it is Balmoral.

where did you end up tom ? 

hope you had a good time! 

I am tempted by a run down to the dalveen pass one day next week! 

Paul 

Paul, 

Not gone yet, its this weekend I'm doing it! :) I have put several suggestions to the missus including the above ones and await her review and response! Ha ha here's hoping for a nice bit of weather! 

Silky a few of us are heading to Oban early Sunday morning and back again late afternoon. You are welcome to join us if you can?

Unfortunately I had band Practice on Sunday so couldn't leave early doors! How was the drive? I had an eventful weekend which ended up in only a short drive yesterday in the beautiful sun to North Berwick! ... Long story short, took the car out Friday night for a preflight check and it was running really rough. Saturday all day and the morning of Sunday and Monday was spent stripping the carbs down, replacing parts and tuning it up!! Took ages, but it was damn worth it! Absolute flying machine now! (much to my girlfriends delight I am sure! Ha ha!)

Stripping the carbs:

DSC_0116.jpg

At the beach:DSC_0119.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Tom - Glad to see you managed a run and like the look of your workshop..... ;-)

Ha ha Cheers Matt! Yeah, you weren't kidding about the car needing a bit of tidying up! Lots to do, but it was nice to get it running Monday to make the most of the good weather! Ha ha yeah the missus was well chuffed with the workshop set-up!! 

Just a question relating to this, how do you manage an overnight when you will need to consider parking and security? My daughter is mad keen to have a road trip when we get ours but I said we couldn't do an overnight stay because there would be nowhere to keep the car.

Weeeeeelll, it depends. Some look for hotels with secure car parks, but I guess most of us don't. Just somewhere with a decent amount of parking, off the street.

Did a trip to Wales a few years back, and to be honest, we just parked the four Westfields in the car park, the others had roofs, so all left them up, I had a tonneau cover and aeroscreened, so left those on. All of us that could remove steering wheels took them with us to leave in the hotel rooms and I and one of the others have motorbike chains, so normally, I'll loop it through an alloy, then up through the main hoop of the RAC roll bar, that way the car can't just be casually rolled away by letting off the handbrake. In this instance, the two of us with chains parked next to each other and looped our chains together as well, so the cars were locked to each other.

But to be honest, that was it really.

We all had a fantastic weekend, and after that first moment of securing the vehicles, never gave it another minutes thought.

That simple! I've a couple of really good bike chains and locks so that appears to be another box ticked! Now just need the car!