MSA TYRE REGS to CHANGE

Terry Everall

Just to throw a spanner in the works here: I'm pretty sure you'll continue to be able to use a non emarked tyre on the road here in the UK, as long as it meets C&U regs. I don't understand why the MSA are dictating to us we must use an emarked tyre. 

Plenty of current 1B tyres could be used even if the manufacturers take the emark out of their moulds. I have just bought a new set of hankooks for my rally car which are not emarked but are road legal. They are too soft and noisy to meet the requirements of the new test. These tyres are on 13" wheels and not much more than £100 each.

Further to my above statement there is a big discussion on the rally forum about the use of non-emarked tyres on the public roads for road rallies, so it is entirely possible we could continue to all drive legally to events (if need be) to compete on a current list 1B tyre if the manufacturer had to remove the emarking from the tyre mould. 

The manufacturer could continue to sell the tyres to anyone wishing to buy them, including the odd 13" tyre sizes which are no longer available in list 1A spec.

Also we need to understand what the MSA mean by "Reason: Nationwide harmonisation and cost for what is seen as the entry Category"

It seems to be a very poorly worded statement to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Latest news, the proposal to ban list 1B tyres has been thrown out by the Speed Committee - specifically due to the consultation process; 119 responses received were against the proposal with only one in favour.

So, it is worth the effort writing in when items are up for consultation !

• Like 2

Hi Nick,

Is this confirmed as fact so we can celebrate or does it give rise to appeal etc? Well done to all if its final

Thanks

John

Well done to all concerned.

Hi Nick,

Is this confirmed as fact so we can celebrate or does it give rise to appeal etc? Well done to all if its final

Thanks

John

John,

It's a fact that the Speed Committee has rejected it, so in that sense you can celebrate. It doesn't mean that it may not be raised in the future but again there is a consultation process so you have a chance to air your views. It shows that this process works and that competitors if they are unhappy about things need to tell the MSA via the consultation process.

Well done to all concerned.

The people concerned in this case Dave were the competitors who actually emailed the MSA rather than just moaned on a forum. Then of course the Speed Committee who listened to those views.

Excellent news Nick

Excellent news Nick

Possibly a respite only in some ways?

EU Road Legal Tyre Regs ARE changing.

I would have thought that this would impact on tyres available to road going classes at some point in the future, as we have to have road legal tyres to compete in these classes.

OR have I got this slightly off?

Possibly a respite only in some ways?

EU Road Legal Tyre Regs ARE changing.

I would have thought that this would impact on tyres available to road going classes at some point in the future, as we have to have road legal tyres to compete in these classes.

OR have I got this slightly off?

Definition of road legal in the UK is to C&U regs, nothing to do with the EU yet! The question we should be asking the MSA is why they are implying we should use what they call "production tyres" for road going classes.