Pre-Lit Bonnet

Kevin (Mr T)

I knew there were not that many of these little beauties around when I bought it and assumed that may cause me some problems sourcing components. But I love it anyway. Now I'm trying to tidy up my pre-litigation 7SE. The biggest issue at the moment is the bonnet. The GRP is sagging in the middle and the gel coat has bubbled in a couple of places and has a couple of cracks. I approached a fabricator about rolling a new aluminium bonnet and was quoted £2000 labour, plus metal and sundries, plus VAT (more if I wanted it painted!). Westfield can't help with a replacement. Any pointers would be much appreciated, before I  :white-westy:  to B&Q, buy a sheet of bendy MDF and see what I can come up with :laugh:

That quote for an aluminium bonnet does seem exceptionally high for the amount of work involved. I'd suggest getting another quote from elsewhere.

I thought so. Sounded like an "I don't really want the job" quote. I'm struggling to find anyone within striking distance to get a quote from!

Yeah,that does sound very high,  it's going back quite a few years ago now, but one of our local members was charged in the region of £700 to make a proper Westfield modern style bonnet, ie one with the swage lines down the side, not just rolled, Caterham style. (Plus it had louvred bonnet vents, which we all insanely jealous of!)

I had an aluminium bonnet made for my pre-lit but never used it and never will, I could take a picture of it on my car if you are interested in it. cheers

I had an aluminium bonnet made for my pre-lit but never used it and never will, I could take a picture of it on my car if you are interested in it. cheers

Hi Steve, definitely be interested in seeing a pic of it. Begs two questions, why did you never use it and what would you be looking for to sell it?

Steve, email is kpt653031@gmail.com if you want to send info that way. Kevin

Mainly the weight compared to the fibre glass bonnet, will have to check it hasn't been damaged been in my dads lock up for a few years. Will dig it out this week if you are interested I will take the pics and email them to you cheers steve.

Mainly the weight compared to the fibre glass bonnet, will have to check it hasn't been damaged been in my dads lock up for a few years. Will dig it out this week if you are interested I will take the pics and email them to you cheers steve.

Sorry for the delay been on nights, have taken the pictures and sent them to your email address hope you get them cheers.

I saw Chip Foose make a bonnet by bending a sheet of ali round a circular column in his garage - looked easy enough  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

(but not by me  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: )

Sorry for the delay been on nights, have taken the pictures and sent them to your email address hope you get them cheers.