Blyton - Red lights

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Plenty of red lights round Dagger Lane in Hull...........................So I am lead to believe.  :d  

Eh I've worked on there!!!!

Errr, but not in that capacity.

• Like 1

I only know it as I built the magistrates court round the corner.

Would it be possible use a couple of 12V car spotlights ( about £15 each or secondhand?) and then get a transparent red lacquer or similar?

Pair of high intensity LED rear fogs is the way to go less drain on the battery  :t-up:

you know , them ones that the silly burgers switch on every time we get a spot of rain 

Pair of high intensity LED rear fogs is the way to go less drain on the battery  :t-up:

you know , them ones that the silly burgers switch on every time we get a spot of rain

That's along the lines I was thinking

That's along the lines I was thinking

Likewise - and boxed in a black surround to provide contrast

John

Any update on this?

Regards

David

Here y'go - £25 a pop

20 years ago I expect I would have been game for a near-scrap car battery, two lengths of wire that where only long  enough when joined in the middle, and a second hand LED fog/rain light. I would also have been eight.

HOWEVER, while this has really nothing to do with me at all, if I was in charge of making it, I would not be prepared to have an electric non-line-of-site safely system that was not fail safe.

Hence I would be looking some thing along the lines of: Stop light powered by normally open relay, relay held closed by remote trigger, 'system ok' indicator on light and trigger, powered by normally closed contacts on the same relay, duplicate stop light on trigger unit.
If you wanted to add further redundancy you could simply duplicate the above system. I would be having a word with one of the electrical/electronics engineers at work to get their take on it, and considering the price/availability off and the shelf suitably approved.

A flag is very obvious as to if it is working or no, obviously you can have a case where by the driver fails to see it, but you cannot have a case where the driver can see then man who would be waving it standing there unconcerned, when he is in fact waving a flag. With an electrical system this is not the case, and particularly if is a mobile system, the change of failure is significant enough that the system should not have a single point failure mode unless it is fail safe.

How often have you checked the brake lights on a trailer and found them to not work? I know its happened to me before now.

Half a job is often more dangerous than not doing it at all.

Daniel

John

Any update on this?

Regards

David

On a sensible side - Nothing as yet

I believe in belts and braces the marshal will still have a flag; but I am not putting in them in harms way as I don't want a dead marshall

Back to the Top.... anyone?  :down:

John

I am happy to make something that could be powered from a 12v car battery if that would help.

Do you have a spec?

How far will the Marshalls be from the light?

Do you need one light or a pair?

How high off the ground ? etc

John my offer still stands but I would really want to agree some kind of spec before making so no misunderstanding.  Perhaps PM me a number and we can agree what you need.  Note I am in France for a long weekend at StGoueno not back till late Monday.

thought i replied but i might not have clicked send.... i will take your offer up if you want to call me on your return i'm on 07912 515 570

• 1 month later...

Here she is :

Blyton Red

Mounts on a tripod, runs off small 12v battery and has wireless remote control up to 50m

David

• Like 1