• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Garage Security

westy

Hi All,

Im after some security bars to fit on the inside of a half glazed door going to the garage.  Anyone know of a suitable suppllier?

Or any other suggestions for securing apart from getting a solid iron door :D

Cheers,

Westy.

westy, try some square mesh, from focus/B=Q

comes in various sizes.

its galvanised so wont rust,  just fix round perimiter with

1/2" woodscrews and penny washers .

hope this helps

cheers rob ;)

Westy, as with most of these sort of things the likelihood of finding something off the shelf that will fit your door is pretty remote - I might be wrong.

Without wishing to state the obvious - look up your local wrought iron gate manufacturer in Good Old Yellow pages.

In addition to bars, if you are still worried, also consider backing plates to support the wood around the hinges, catches and bolts.

Finally make sure that the glazing is sufficiently obscure so that your contents are not identifiable from the outside.

Then if all of that fails -  damp metal footplate and 240v to the handle.

You dont need a security bar, simply enough to ensure that they have to wreck the door which creates noise.

Noise stops burglaries.........................

Go for 7 lever `Chubb` type lock.

Ensure that the lock keep allows for drilling/plugging and screwing THE LOCK KEEP into the BRICKWORK.

Most locks allow for securing into the door frame :0  but the frame is weakened by the morticing necessary for fitting the lock keep :angry:

If the keep itself is screwed/plugged into the brickwork then they have to demolish the wall not just the frame.

Fit window locks as this ensures that the window has to be demolished by the burglar and creates noise.

Anyone who has an up and over door should fit a lockable post in front of it. (post lays flat in order to open door and drive car but is a barrier to opening door and driving car when locked IYSWIM)

I was in the classic car world for many years, most famous tale was of a triumph stag (at the height of classic car values in late eighties) where owner had a Thatcham alarmed XR3 turbo :arse:  outside his garage but they still broke into the XR3 and moved it onto the road. Broke in to his alarmed garage and nicked his newly restored fully alarmed Stag and rang him on the mobile found in it to tell him :angry:  :angry:

:arse:  :arse:

The absolute minimum is to screw a steel strip the width of the door frame a minimum of 300mm top and bottom of the lock keep on the inside of the frame. This strengthens the frame weak spot caused ( ironically) by the keep.

This I know having been a term maintenance contractor to `Housing Associations` where violent partners and husbands tried to break into houses etc :0

Catch 22  ???

If you're not having probs then leave alone or put in an "unseen" deterent  ;)

If you start adding iron bars / railings or cages to windows - it means to the "thief" that the building contains a valuable item - what ? he will ask and before you know it someone will be in.  ;)

Galv B&Q stuff with screws and washers will not stop the professional  ;)  :(  :(

Have you looked at the personal security rape alarms - pull the pin out and it is LOUD seriously loud which will frighten off most thieves especially in a residential area  ;)  Can you rig some up to windows and doors  ;)  :)

Hi Westy, enjoyed the chat yesterday. I ended buying both diffs so one will be for sale on the board as soon as I've got them cleaned up.

RE your garage door.

First thing to do is to put dead-bolts in the top and bottom and a proper heavy duty mortice lock.

Next fit some security hinges (these still stay secure even if the pins are removed)

That will stop the door being kicked off it's hinges.

Hire a Mig welder.

Next thing is to oblain some flat mild steel bar (30mm wide by 3-4mm thick) and make up a rectangle that fits about 10mm larger than the perimeter of the window and weld it up.

Next lay lengths 13mm steel bar vertically (about 40-50mm appart) on the rectangle and weld them on.

The whole lot can then coach-bolted through the door. You may need to make one for the bottom pannel if you feel it could kicked in easly (IE if it's only a thin ply pannel as a lot are)

Last thing to do is to put up a blind or curtain so nobody can see what you have got.

You also need to ensure that the main door is secure, there are many products on the market that will do this for a reasonable cost (try motorcycle magazines)

If you need help with window bars give me a call I may be able to make them up for you.

HTH

Chaz

Finally make sure that the glazing is sufficiently obscure so that your contents are not identifiable from the outside.

This is probably the most important point, but if you spend all day with the doors open, drooling over the the beast then its an open shop, but,

what I would suggest is a what  game keepers use. This is basically a 12 g, as in 12 bore, (loud), blank firing device, otally legal. Simply a trip wire operated cartridge firing device, possibly accross the threshold of the garage, etc . Believe me these do work. If you dont hear it, then the rest    of the estate will  :devil:  :devil:  :angry:  :devil:

Westy

Whats in there any good to me I have a burning torch and a 9" grinder

If you wasn't soo far away i would make you some bars doors etc. up.

ps. only interested in modern Duratec stuff

Paul.

I prefer the Heinlein solution:-

A 94db voice synthesiser which shouts

I'm a 30 second bomb, I'm a 30 second bomb, 29, 28, 27....

:zzz:  :0  :zzz:

Thanks for all the tips Guys, you are a helpful lot :t-up:

Right so far in addition to the current security on the door I’m going for:

A B&Q blind behind the glazed window

Behind that the iron bars

Bars behind the bottom panel

Suitable coverings for the hinges

A more industrial lock

I like the idea of the post for the up and over door but I don’t think I have enough ground clearance to get over it :blush: Any other ideas?

Chaz, may well call on the help with the window bars.  Thought you would buy both.  Hope you found some suitable places to prove this Chaz-Power-Slide theory out on the way back?

Stanton, me need a rape alarm :D

Westfieldman, you would never make it through the back garden to the garage door simply because on the way you would have to pass the remains of a 2lt VX 16v.  Once you saw that your mind would be too distracted with thoughts of cost effectiveness, reliability, all of the thousands of them currently in Motorsport, proven performance and no longer being a tester for development to care about what’s in the garage. :devil:  :D

Brianm, love the idea of firing blanks ( :blush: ) but sods law dictates I would kill the little b******* that tried to get in :angry: In the mean time the above changes and keeping barry the baseball bat close to hand will suffice :)

Westy, no diy/gain a friend - buy a big toothed doberman  :D

No need, you have to walk through the rabbit pen to get to the garage door and theres two little savage killer ones living there at the moment.  If I can reduce the food they have to keep them hungry they should go for the neck everytime they see a human :devil: