• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

What Fuel?

Kevin (Mr T)

Supermarket unleaded or something more exotic in a tuned 1600 crossflow, when it arrives?

I use Tesco 99 with a little lead additive in my 1700 crossflow

look a really nice car

Yes Tesco 99 is good

Avoid supermarket fuels (except the tesco 99 which is good), best rule of thumb is stick to the fuel that your carbs/engine was tuned on.

Blimey, have I been doing it wrong for the past 4K miles? I just fill up with whatever is cheapest...

• Like 1

Thanks guys, no idea what it has been tuned on. It's being delivered in the next couple of hours, so I will ask that question.

I stick any higher octane stuff in - whether it makes any difference I cannot tell TBH

Avoid supermarket fuels (except the tesco 99 which is good), best rule of thumb is stick to the fuel that your carbs/engine was tuned on.

ah a good old what fuel thread, usually i only see these on the z4 forum where the only fuel you can use is the finest super unleded filtered though peruvian peseants and distilled in the glaciers of mount mordoor (or optimax) :)

tuned on chavda finest for me as it was the only station i could find near the tuners ..... laughing.

but your right use what it was tuned using.

• Like 2

I would imagine it would have had hardened valve seats so ok to run on Unleaded, but might be worth checking when you collect.

I don't think the octane rating is such an issue on carbs and clock work ignition as you can't get it that precise then there has to be a larger margin for error. One of the very few downsides to FI.

I would imagine it would have had hardened valve seats so ok to run on Unleaded, but might be worth checking when you collect.

I don't think the octane rating is such an issue on carbs and clock work ignition as you can't get it that precise then there has to be a larger margin for error. One of the very few downsides to FI.

Thanks guys, no idea what it has been tuned on. It's being delivered in the next couple of hours, so I will ask that question.

That's the best bet. There's no advantage to running a higher octane fuel than the one a Westfield was either jetted and or mapped on. In some case, power may suffer.

In the simplest of terms, higher octane fuel is harder to make go bang! So more compression and ignition advance can be safely used. But if that's not how the engine is setup, it's not doing anything!

Mind you, there are cockrales of other chemicals mixed in with our fuels too, so you might in theory get a slighty better adative package, but that's about all.

(Modern tin tops with modern ecu's are a different thing again by the way)

I have checked that unleaded is OK, so that's all good. Stick any old diesel in the Octavia and it runs fine, just thought this little thing might be more fussy!

• Like 1

Pete raises a good point; check that it's had a proper un-leaded conversion with hardened valve seats. If not, then whatever fuel you use, it will need an extra additive to substitute for the lead. 

I have checked that unleaded is OK, so that's all good. Stick any old diesel in the Octavia and it runs fine, just thought this little thing might be more fussy!

excellent, crossed posts when i typed the last one!

It's much easier with a proper conversion as there's no messing about mixing stuff in etc.

Pete raises a good point; check that it's had a proper un-leaded conversion with hardened valve seats. If not, then whatever fuel you use, it will need an extra additive to substitute for the lead.

Ran my old Xflow for a year with additive fine

Have ran for the past 3 years without, done over 6k miles no problem enough lead in the old engine it seems.