Home address in your profile

BudSlater

Not sure if it's just me, but I'm not convinced the world needs to see my home address on the WSCC site. Anybody can create a trial account, or even pay for a year and see where my pride and joy is kept. I'm not sure I want that. Actually, let me re-phrase that, I don't want that, but I do want a copy of the WW magazine to be posted to me.

How do I disable the map that appears on my profile page please :)

I've just checked that to see if mines the same. I don't think other members can see it, I can see mine but couldn't see yours

Only you can see your profile detail

yes what David said :t-up:

the question has been asked on here before - I can only see "Chester" against your location

Oh and I am sure the committee will be along shortly to make sure that nobody deletes their address - if you do you won't get your magazine :oops:

If you want to see what the outside world and other members can see on your account, then sign out at the top right hand corner.

Go to Google search page and type in 'wscc forum', click on the link and you'll then be an outsider and you won't be able to view anyones profile/map/ personal stuff.

Just to reassure members...

I think Simon may have now realised, as his profile has changed, but for any one else, let me be 100% clear (yet again!  :d )

The WSCC does not give out or publish your address to any third party, without your express permission.

(Short of a court order/warrant, anyway!)

Only club officials, (committee and AO's) have access to your address - for club management purposes.

When you check your own profile, or look at the little sidebar with your info on it, you will see you're own details. This is so you can check them and keep them updated - which is most important, as that's how you receive your magazine (postal address) and how we contact you if it's necessary for any reason, (your email address, phone number etc). No other member, with the exception of an administrator can see this data. (And as an administrator, my movements and any changes I might make on the site are recorded and have to be accounted for, if the need arose).

On on to the member map. This is currently an entirely voluntary facility that the club provided at the request of members. What details you fill in for your location are your responsibility ! Though if you look at an early post I made in the thread about it, I do point out the danger of submitting your full post code! Personally, I just put "CW12" for myself, that's good enough for map purposess.

The little map in your profile, only shows the address you entered in the "Member Map" page, once again, it does not pull up your details from your profile.

As a committee we take members safety and security incredibly seriously, maybe occasionally we ere on the side of caution, but better that than the alternative.

So please, keep your profile info updated and complete. But do feel free to edit your member map entry to be a bit more vague!

Dave

But I can see SootySport lives near a road called D***er R**d North, and XT2Turbo probably lives on Ma******e Road. So these come from the "member map" which is a voluntary submission, so that's no problem, is that right? :)

• Like 1

That's right, if you look at my profile the blue dot is on "Rood Hill" as that's where the first half of the post code puts it. My actual road is a mile or so from there.

• Like 1

Likewise .. on the member map I entered just the first 3 characters so a fairly big area and certainly not to street level

I just put the member map Dot a little way from my actual house, like you don't want Erks nicking anything from me.

ohhhhh to be able to hide my address, i could stop receiving mail from you lovely members.......

• Like 2

Folks, there's a section in the forums named Membership Info & Help.  Pinned at the top of it is a FAQ thread, where almost every query is answered including this one in #7:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/93966-questions-on-membership-or-renewing-please-read-this-first/

The purpose of you being able to see your own address (but not that of others) is so you can insure its correct so you receive your mags and calendar - nothing else. :)