• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

New Engine Required

nigelporter

I have a pre-lit westfield with a rather old 1700 xflow engine and 4 speed box which produces about 100bhp.  I am looking for a new engine around about 150 bhp and a 5 speed box.  I am after some advice as to whether to go for another xflow, a Rover K series or VX 16v?

Zetec 1800 and 2000 will do this with a type 9 box

I have most if not all the part numbers you need for this

The VX will do this as will but probably not as easy [fitting making work etc.]

It also depends on what bits you already have carbs engine managment etc.

Paul.

Why not try a Toyota 4age?

Try here !!!!!!!!

It's a real gem of an engine apparentley :)

How much money have you got, as if you go for a different engine than the X-flow you will need to change things like engine mounts, exhaust etc.... which gets expensive.

If you want to stick with X-flow power then there always seem to be good spec engines advertised on here & on Blatchat Blatchat

& here racecar.co.uk

Good luck :t-up:

Andy :D

I would imagine that theToyota engine would probably be

the best of the bunch to pick to update a pre-lit.

I'm not sure whether a Zetec or VX will fit without some fairly major work to bonnet and nose cone, but the Toyota engine is a lot smaller in comparison.

HTH Stu.

Seconded/thirded on the Toyota reccommendations. It's tiny, light, and modern. Have a search of the site for RAW engineering, and have a read...........

I agree with you there Stu - I've seen VX put into Pre-lits, but it ain't half a tight fit and some surgery is required to body panels (bonnet & nose) and chassis - reckon Zetecs would also give you similar probs  ;)  :)

For a pre-lit check out a well worked X-Flow replacement or if you're after something with more modern technology the Toyota should hopefully fit without too much trouble  ;)  :)

K series might fit - but again you'd need to do a lot of homework and fitment compatibility  ;)

The Zetec and XE can be made to fit the pre-lit, but you'll have a compromise between ground clearence (sump) and bonnet (hump to cover the cam-cover) the 4AGE is marginally larger than the XFlow and is the best bet (at a price) for the limited space in a pre-lit.

To do a 4AGE conversion you are realistacally looking at spending £2500-£3000 to do properly. If that sounds expencive to you then you'r probhably best tuning up your XFlow which depending on how much you want to do will probhably work out cheaper.

A Zetec/Vx conversion would cost nearly as much to do properly too, IMO. The Toyota is probably going to be less of a compromise on fit though, so there is every chance that fewer, if any, chassis mods/compromises will have to be engineered......

Just to fly the flag for the X-flow you can get good power from them for a lot less than converting to a different engine.

If you have a look in Januarys Clasic ford there is a top article on getting this sort of power out of the Xflow which is well worth a read.

A decent X-flow is still fun in a westy !

At least if you keep the X-flow you will not have to change all the other bits on your car.

Just an 8-valve option !!! :devil:

1.6 16v Vauxhall engine.

Check out the SBD website for some more info.

Should be easy enough to install as it fits in a c******m without any problems and it's physically smaller than the 2.0 VX.

I may be selling my x-flow engine in the next couple of weeks,

would be a straight swap for yours, dead easy & quite a bit more power to boot!!

Once i get it back from having new head gasket fitted im gonna get it rolling roaded (hopefully this weekend) so ill let you know the figures,

its got;

twin 40's

lumenition

flow/ported head

biggest stainless valves you can get!!

duplex timing gear

steel rocker posts etc

high capacity oil pump & cooler

steel competition head gasket

4-1 manifold

285 cam

ap racing clutch