Novice looking to join ?

thinkturbo

I can arrange the mounts fine, I'll remove the batt cut off, just run my key op, push start. Main thing is a roll bar, but in final discuss with Luke from playskool at the mo, so nearly there...

Keep an eye out for helmets as I think if Luke gets his deal sorted with the hans devices, there will be a few used ones for sale. Myself included

Let me know then, regards turbo

Proper struggling with rollbar, but rest of the car ready to race, looking at the WSCC magazine tonight, I think the racing scene is out of my depth, I don't own custom trailers, Nissan Navaras and caravans, so either keep it for road fun, or might put it on PH?.

Being an ex hill climb car, would be looking for 6000k, that's with extras included

Neither do I! Will be borrowing a trailer from work for the far away events (or hiring one, about £150 for the weekend) and driving to the reasonably close events. Lots of competitors drive their cars there so you won't be alone. It's about having fun and driving your car the way it's supposed to be driven, yes some people have "all the gear", but if you read the article from last years' Novice champion, you'll find that it isn't all about how much money you've got.

Very few of us enloy such luxury :)

For my first event i hired a trailer and talked a friend into towing it for me :d after that I bought one myself and towed it behind my golf. The most comfort I have overnight is either a small tent or a cheep travel Inn room.

I may not have the most expensive gear or the right car to be competitive but I don't care. For me it's all about just being there, the experience and most of all having some fun.

• Like 4

Hi

Think ill be doing some of the class A events next year and plan to drive to them. No tow car, no trailer, no racegear at moment....Same as you can't justify all the fancy stuff. Hope you manage to sort something with the rollbar and give it a go......

I had a go for a couple of seasons, either borrowed a trailer when I could, or drove to the events in the Westfield, competed, then drove home in it. (I admit, it does focus your mind a little, knowing you've got to drive home.)

But equally, the camaraderie is such that plenty of people told me not to worry; if it ever came to it, someone would always help me and the car get home.

No luxury for me either.

My daily drive is a chip fat burning 1987 landrover which I roughed it in the back last year before splashing out and getting a tent this season. Last years novice champion didn't isn a trailer and drove his car to all the events.

To be fair a trailer isn't really an expense and is more of an investment. If you hold out for the right one you won't lose money on it

Yeah I ruff it too in the back of my old VW van, no luxuries either  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

• Like 1

I sleep in my trailer as do quite a few others. Saves on the cost of B&B

hey mate,

I went to blyton in an X Reg tree lorry half full of wood chip !

Its not a rich mans sport and you will be made to feel very welcome and will be applauded just for having a go - hopefully you will  be hooked :-) 

Do you need an RAC roll bar to pass scrutineering?

I understand it may be desirable but I've seen all sorts of bars fitted to road going cars I'm sure.

Don't some cars compete without roll bars?

I understand it may be desirable but I've seen all sorts of bars fitted to road going cars I'm sure.

On a road going Westfield there is no regulatory requirement to have a braced roll bar, although it would be strongly advised to have one fitted.

Currently no, however if you are buying one anyway, then it makes a lot of sense to fit one that meets MSA specification. The Westfield RAC bar tends not to give enough height for most drivers. These type of regulations are being looked at all of the time and are likely to change.