Anyone laid their Westy up for the winter?

Kezman

Well I have just extended my insurance as mine was on its limit, Bought new woolly hats with fur like ears and I say.....bring it on.

I drive mine in all weathers and use it even for just going up the village.

I have a nice car to drive as a daily driver but nothing beats my Buttercup................hope that does not sound sad.

Mine is sorned 31/10 to 1/4 every year.  Battery conditioner on and under a cotton sheet in the garage.  First few years of ownership I braved winter runs but eventually they paled (and I now have an MX5 to use in winter :)).  Don't start the Westy at all over winter but, on first starting in spring, I take the plugs out and crank the engine until I get oil pressure, then replace the plugs and start her up.  Sweet as a nut every time.

Ah ok Dave and Stuart I have just read your replies. I did take the point about a full tank of fuel to minimise condensation on my last winter lay up. I suppose it could of been a bit of bad fuel though. One tip I'll take on board reg plugs then Stuart....

Pretty much the same as Stuart - probably the fist 10 years we kept it on the road all year round, but eventually changed to our regular pattern of SORN for 5 or 6 months of the year. Over the years, it's had a variety of overwintering locations but since moving last year, it now has it's own dedicated garage or the workshop to choose from. Sometimes adjust the SORN period depending on holidays we may be having on or around start/end of season.

Usual routine is to run the fuel down before taking it off the road, park it up, battery conditioner is always on anyway, spray the shiny bits with Duck Oil. Come spring, quick once over, wash, top up with fresh petrol, turn key, drive. After the first few runs, it gets an oil & filter change. Used to suffer with the clutch rusting to flywheel with the crossflow, oddly, never had that issue with the Zetec??

So have I understood you correctly? You park her up with nigh on no fuel in the tank. I thought general thought was to fill her up as much as you can to counter the inevitable condensation?

Mine just gets garaged (in a decent dry garage) with whatever fuel is left in it 31/10.  I used to go through a whole list of 'what to do when you park your car up for winter', but for at least 10 years all I have done is chuck a cotton sheet over it and plug the battery conditioner in.  And, up to now, things are always fine in the spring.

i dont park mine - keep driving it as much as possible... managed 500 miles last week...

I've been out in mine this morning, first time out for 7 weeks. Started first time and ran like a dream. Should be going to the club meet on Tuesday night if it's not raining. And hopefully some runs over the Christmas period.