Bicycle advise please fellow members…..

alexander72

Buy some saddle soap for your butt.  It's gonna smart.

When I retired some years ago I decided to buy a bike, my sons all had state of the art megabuck mountain bikes they had not ridden for years which I tried and they may be mega light but flipping uncomfortable. I walked into Halfords bought a 18 speed mountain bike with brilliant  front and rear suspension and well equipped in the sale for £99. I have since bought a couple of tyres and a gel saddle and still riding it over the South Downs 7 years later and never though of buying a more expensive but not necessarily for me a  better one  .   

Craig - I ride hunters so my undercarriage is quite used to regular bruising  :d  (sounds entirely wrong)  :yes:

I like my new cube bike. No it doesn't have square wheels :)

I just bought a Cube Peloton as my first road bike. I'd not ridden since I had an accident when I was 13 (1995) but very slowly getting into it. I can't manage more than about two hours as the saddle bruises my bum to the point where it's too painful to sit and pedal (thank god for no chaffing on top!). I'm finding it uses my muscles very differently to running so I haven't quite got the legs to keep up with my lungs either.

01428961241749-vi.jpg

I'm now looking at my options for cycling to work. The safest and shortest route uses two puncture inducing old railway lines so I'm looking at getting a hard tail mountain bike. Ideally something with tyres that aren't too extreme and too much front suspension travel. Not sure whether to wait for the bike to work scheme in January or chance it on something from eBay now.

On the subject of hybrid bikes, when I begun thinking about a bike most regular cyclists (road and MTB) told me not to bother. They claimed they were generally overpriced for the quality of the frame and equipment on it.

• Like 1

Entirely agree with ^ about hybrids, if you want something that can go on or off road, get a short travel hard tail 29" mountain bike with slicks for the road and continental mountain kings for everything else. You get bigger wheels than a road bike so better rolling speed on and off road, with the capability of actually being able to ride off road should you want to. Even better if you can lock out the forks.

Shimano SLX or above gearing and crankset, avid elixir or above brakes and mavic rims will mean you'll never have to buy replacement components, irrespective of what you put it through. Unfortunately those cheaper bikes won't last a couple of miles of decent off road. You can easily pick up something like this off eBay, not so much for your budget new.

Something like this at the cheaper end:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cube-Analog-29Er-2014-/111450621124?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item19f2f984c4

Or this for something you'll never need to replace:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-Pro-29er-Mountain-Bike-/171447520033?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item27eb118b21

I do a lot of mountain biking, lots of cross country and a bit of heavier downhill-ish stuff. If your budget stretches, the best value bikes I've found by far are Canyon. I've a Nerve 9.0 SL and it has been bombproof. I couldn't have bought the components alone for the price of the full bike - the frame was effectively free. Ridden it ~1600 miles so far and it has not had anything go wrong, and I'm fairly heavy on it. My carbon scott SL on the other hand is on its fourth frame in two years....

I like my new cube bike. No it doesn't have square wheels :)

Does it have a "jelly" holder rather than a water bottle holder???