Bicycle advise please fellow members…..

alexander72

Morning all,

As I approach another birthday and my 28" waist trousers are getting a bit tight I am thinking of getting a mountain bike to tackle the massive gradients of Northamptonshire and West Cambridgeshire.

Can anyone advise a good value bike for a 110 KG middle aged man with a yearning for lycra and the thrill of a fast ride to the pub…..

I am yours etc

James 

You need to specify a budget

Yup, budget is important.

If you really think you could end up actually enjoying it and doing some miles (and rarely, if ever going off-road), you'd probably be better off with a touring bike or hybrid, where the majority of your energy is converted into forward motion, rather than being absorbed in suspension and fat tyres....

A good place to start is Decathlon. They have most types of bike, at really good prices. And several have won various cycling 'best buy' awards.

A good place to browse and try out, if nothing else

I got caught out getting a bike, you do know the whole Drink Driving thing still applies...

I used the pedal to the pub, have a few too many and then after falling off a few times (well never actually getting started) end up pushing the SoB home...

Can't advise on a mountain bike as i gave that up in 2000 when i tore the ligaments in my neck, hence why i ride bikes lying down now.  But my advice would be to get a cheap one first, Ebay has squillions of them, get one big enough as you are not exactly short, read up on what size frame you need, if you are still riding in 6 months get something a bit more exotic and lighter, hopefully you will be easing into the 28" inches no problem then..

Also as said above if you really aren't going to be using it off road start with a hybrid, it will be a bit faster.

Disc brakes are pretty normal, mechanical or Hydraulic, both have advantages and disadvantages.

Make sure you don't skimp on quality shorts, really the padding should ergonomically shaped so it doesn't bunch up and rub yer bits, you can always wear baggies on top if you don't want to scare the ladies with your "package".

Whatever you get upgradeitus will affect you - resist until you are sure it's for you!

2 major laws affect cyclists:

Riding under the influence.

Riding furiously

I'm sure others on here who are more familiar with normal bikes will be along to give much better advice!

I like my new cube bike. No it doesn't have square wheels :)

Hyabusa and then use the engine in the Westy. Don't carry baggage on your handlebars like my missus the other day. The bruising will take weeks to fade after she fell off.

Good luck and empathise with the get fitter regime, really.

Bob :d

Great advise every one thanks - budget to £500, hybrid might work as it's downhill to the pub so i can free wheel one way....i have ridden my horse to the pub routinely but he gets a bit excitable at the smell of a guinness - I like the idea of a recumbent streamliner..... 

My pub is 300 yards away so i need a pretty robust bike obviously.  Colour could be important as well - need something to match my mustard cords in the autumn.... :p

• Like 1

Figure out what sort of riding you want to do, if your not intending to go flying down muddy hills, then you don't need full suspension. If your mainly taking to the roads, you don't need any suspension and a hybrid would probably be best.

Don't go cheap, don't buy some rubbish from Halfrauds, a cheap bike will make you want to give up almost as soon as you started.

You can get some good deals 2nd hand on Ebay, last year I bought £800 worth of Specialized Sirrus Elite for £280, just 18 months old.

If you buy new, then wait for the sales and check out someone like Evans cycles, who sell of last years models with BIG discounts.

If you intend to ever leave it unattended anywhere, then you need AT LEAST a £80 bike lock. Something like an Abus Granit X-Plus. So factor in this cost as part of the bike.

i got myself a GT Chucker 3.0 from ebay for 100 quid a couple of years ago and its been great i would defiently look on ebay or gumtree or similar as the are bargains to be had if you know what your looking for

I like Yantos advice

I bought a £450 worn mountain bike for £26 on eBay

It's scruffy enough to not get nicked :) and still works great

Bike have no value on eBay as there are loads and they are to big to post cost effectively ;)

I've just started realising I'm massively unfit mountain biking, or at least that's what I call it. Reading in magazines there's all sorts of genres to it now. Anyway, I popped into my local non-franchised bike shop and the only requirement I had at the time was that it was quite light. In the end I bought a new hard tail, but it was a model 2 years old so a fair bit knocked off. I wasn't particularly fussed about it being in the latest colours, though must admit I do prefer the dark grey type bikes.

Been using it on the local mountain bike trail recently and whilst I think I would prefer full suspension, I'm also using it to ride to work so that can probably wait until I've got the fitness to waste energy with rear suspension.