WSCC Diaries

Turbo Tommo

The committee recently recieved back a diary from a member who strongly felt that the funds could be more effectively used elsewhere. I have mistakenly been sent 3 diaries, and will not use any of them as I use an electronic one and also get many from clients and suppliers.

The cost of buying, printing, posting and administering this as you can imagine is significant, and is all undertaken by unpaid volunteers, who I am sure would rather be entertained elswhere, but still continue to undertake this massive task for the benefit of the Club.

If we as a whole could voice our opinion, then maybe we could improve this use of club funds, either by streamlining the service, redirecting funds, freeing up valuable volunteer time, or providing additional products/services

Did the member concerned express ways in which the saved money can be used? He/She must feel that the club is lacking in something elsewhere. I have voted for 'tick for diary on application' box, but thinking about it, I am not sure that would be a good idea. The upkeep and administration of members that want/do not want diarys would be a nightmare on it's own. Added to the fact that the printers would probably charge more per copy for less diarys ordered and I dont think the saving would be that significant.

I like my diary and (although I have helped fund it) consider it an early Chrimbo prezzie...   :xmas:  :xmas:  :xmas:

Like Turbo Tommo I use an electronic diary so the Westfield one, although gratefuly appreciated is not used.

Now - somebody emailing me a file that I can sync with my electronic (Palm) diary would be very helpful.

Speaking personally, the diary was a nice surprise, in fact, the only unsolicited and welcome item this crimbo, made me smile  :)

As for electronic diaries, I've got 3 different flavours but still carry a paper one as well for those occasions when they Stall (and need Resetting), Are unreadable (back light turns off cos battery power is low) or Sulk (cos they realise that the screen resolution means 4 pages to store anything usefull).

Take a look at www.oqo.com to see where hand held computing ought to be!

Couple of things spring to mind.........

Just how big a hole does this make in the Club's funds? If it makes a big enough dent that we have to choose between a diary or a track day, or appearance at a concours event, or show, or similar, then yes, I think we should be asking if a diary is the best way to spend the money.

I'd tend to agree with Tommo and Stu though, in so far as any alteration to the current "one for all" system would add admnistrative overheads, and possibly affect costs. It's a no-no, as far as I'm concerned.

I think that if the Club can afford a diary for every-one without scarificing something else, then why not? I'm guessing that if we don't spend the money on anything, then the tax man gets it anyway. That can't be the best way to spend the money, can it..............  ???  ???  ??? I'd rather have a diary than a new road hump/one way system/gatso camera..........

Oh yeah, I'm curious as to why it was sent back, with the comment "spend the money on something else". Surely it's obvious that the money is spent. There ain't no refunds for returning 'em (are there?), so why not just say "thanks", and be on your way...........ungrateful, as my old mum would say.........

4 me,the same as Tommo,  I use a electronic one and get plenty of paper diaries off my customer base along with calendars to the quality of the Pirelli one I shared with some of you!! :p

Hope you all have a good christmas break :xmas:

Buzz :(

My diary came last week, and a nice gesture it is too just before Xmas. Problem is, I only got one and my girlfriend who is a joint member didnt get one, unless we are meant to share. She looked so left out I had to give in to my guilty complex and give it to her.

JL - now without diary  :(

PS - a nice WSCC mouse mat could maybe serve as an alternative to a diary ?

a nice WSCC mouse mat could maybe serve as an alternative to a diary ?

Not to the several hundred/nearly a thousand who (by my reckoning of looking at numbers of registered boardroom users, comapred to number of registered members, reached by doing some simple maths based on the accounts published in Westfield World) don't appear to have internet access. Now that would be a waste of money............ :0  :0  :p  :p

by my reckoning of looking at numbers of registered boardroom users

How many did you reduce from the boardroom numbers to take account of our members with, shall we say, multiple personalities  :0  :D  :xmas:

If we (the collective Boardroom posting "we") are not careful we will hack off every individual committee member if a tradition / idea that is designed to suit the majority is blasted by (what Blatters figures demonstrate to be) a minority within a minority.

1 returned diary from a distribution of some 2000 does not represent public opinion by any stretch of the imagination.

Some perfectly valid ideas have been put forward, but infortunately all have some drawbacks, purely because of poor communications amongst the membership and our frankly poor track record of responding to the Committees requests for Info or Actions.

I am sure that many members appreciate the diary as has been stated. A mouse-mat or similar is also a good festive freebie (although not quite as good as Glenfiddich !;).

With respect to subsidising track-days or concours events, fine if that can be shown to benefit the majority / minority proportionately.

Returning to the thread title a club run by Members for Members should also be watching the pennies, so any outlay, be it a one-off or a long-standing tradition must be continuously reviewed.

I imagine all members fully support something at least annually which demonstrates their allegiance to WSCC, be it a Diary, Pen, Mouse-Mat. Annual members sticker and so on.

Without wishing to over-burden the administrative machine that is WSCC, but perhaps combining this function with merchandise officer may I suggest that in say May or July, with WESTFIELD WORLD which does reach everybody, we include an annual freebie voucher which has to be returned by the end of August. Members could tick a box for the annual freebie(s) they want, plus any other merchandise they want to purchase their loved ones (=themselves in most cases) for Christmas. Hopefully this would avoid any waste, and any complaints.

Puts Bullet proof vest on, hides behind table top.............................................

Very valid points Blatters and Mr Elworthy - although this boardroom is a fantastic vehicle and great sounding board - it cannot (at present) be able to produce a definitive answer - simply because that there are still many more members that do not have net access over those that do  ;)

Diaries were introduced a few years back in an effort to give something to each and every indiviual WSCC member - Track days once again appeal to a minority albeit an enthusiastic one  :)

A diary was seen as something that everyone could use whatever their interests  :D  :)

Yep - only one was returned - it certainly hasn't caused any lack of sleep, that is the individuals choice  :(  c'est la vie  :xmas:

Now as to a bottle of Glenfiddich  :xmas:  :xmas:  ;)  :)  That's a club I'll join  :D  :devil:  :cool:  ;)  :)

Communication is the key - so keep any ideas rollin in and the WSCC committee will steal any that can be worked through  ;)  :)

:xmas: .....com'on lads (and lasses) cut the Scrooge impressions,  it's Christmas. The diary was not something I needed as I've used a Filo-fax for years, but my son (who's about to disappear on his world travels) appreciated it and it is now full of his phone numbers and important dates; like my birthday.

:arse: ....and, if you're caught short in Cambodia you can always wipe your bum on January.

bart6.gif….and, personally, I think the person who went to all the trouble of returning their diary was acting like a complete nunney