The end of an (XE) era

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Well, that's it, after ten years, I'm now officially XE less.

The morning started like this:

IMAGE_73.jpg

And ended like this:

IMAGE_75.jpg

The garage isn't the only thing feeling strangely empty.

I really do feel like I've just sold a kidney, or a lung or something. Funny really, I didn't have any issue seeing the old car/chassis loaded up and taken away. But the engine...

Ah well, at least I know it's going to a good home, and will once again make it on track in the Speed Series,  nearly five or six years since its last outing at Three Sisters!

Good bye XE, it's been a fantastic ten years. :yes::d

• Like 4

It's certainly a bit of kit that's helped many other XEs - thanks Dave!

it will! ;)

with the s2000 looming I am sure you will get over it :d:t-up:

It'll be fun following it's progress in the speed series next year though Dave, like cheering on an old friend

I just hope It's not in our class next season :p

• Like 2

I know exactly how you feel. I felt the same when the engien from my old BMW was collected. Much sadder about that than dropping the rusty shell off for scrap. While it hadn't been through as much development as your XE we'd had quite some adventure starting with me buying a new short engine 2 months after buying the car.

It's a funny thing, how attached we get to our cars and engines. Some don't understand it, but once you've poured your heart, soul, blood and tears into something, it will always be a part of you.

It's not the end of an era Dave, it's just the closing of a chapter in this XE's book, exceptionally well written and narrated by your good self, and the start of a new chapter in which I only hope to add more good yarns to the tale. I've been bouncing off the walls with excitement about today for the last week, and I couldn't stop grinning on the way home with the thought of the journey that lies ahead!

Thanks for letting me be the engines' proud new carer, I'll do my best to keep it going as well as you did and will keep you posted on the install (plus the never-ending stream of questions of course!).

And Christian, see you in B next year my friend...

• Like 2

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, looks like I'm going to need more than just a longer first and sticky tyres for next season :cry:

Seriously Barny, well chuffed for you my friend and look forward to seeing the beast in action.

Martin, we're going to have to come up with a plan :p

• Like 2

• Like 1

It's true Dave, the crossflow was too mighty for me! So mighty that I had to move on :d :D

Pure financial logic - the cost of making my mighty crossflow reliable vs the awesome XE that Dave E has put together, not much in it money-wise, but a whole lot in it sense-wise!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, looks like I'm going to need more than just a longer first and sticky tyres for next season :cry:

Seriously Barny, well chuffed for you my friend and look forward to seeing the beast in action.

Martin, we're going to have to come up with a plan :p

Cheers Christian, I'm well chuffed too! Can't wait for the first event ;) I wouldn't worry too much about my pace, it's gonna take me some time to get up to the pace of the XE!

It's true Dave, the crossflow was too mighty for me! So mighty that I had to move on :d :D

Pure financial logic - the cost of making my mighty crossflow reliable vs the awesome XE that Dave E has put together, not much in it money-wise, but a whole lot in it sense-wise!

Agree great engine and well developed by owner who pays attention to avery minute detail.

• Like 1