What next

hilux

I know you`re all gonna say "too heavy" but I believe we are looking at the future.

My VX on carbs eats fuel :blush:

Below is an article I found..........................

When Volkswagen decided to enter it's Golf GTI 1.9PD Racer in the Volkswagen Racing Cup earlier this year, it was greeted with disbelief and gaping mouths, but Volkswagen knew what its diesel engines were capable of.

Volkswagen's faith in its diesel technology soon paid off when the Golf GTI 1.9PD beat its petrol-powered opposition, including a 2.8-litre V6 Beetle - not once but twice.

The Golf GTI 1.9PD Racer's success went to prove what Volkswagen had known for years - its diesel engines are the best in the business, thanks to their revolutionary Pumpe Düse (PD) fuel injection system.

Now virtually all its diesel-powered models are PD-equipped. The PD system diesel engines inject fuel under massive pressure - 2050 bar, compared with just 1600 bar from the best common rail systems. This means that Pumpe Düse engines produce class-leading performance, combined with greater efficiency and improved economy.

To put the Pumpe Düse engine's performance in perspective, the 1.9-litre PD engine fitted to the Golf GTI 1.9PD delivers even more torque than a Porsche Boxster. It can also match other hot hatches blow for blow in the performance stakes, but how many hot hatches can return the Golf's 52.3mpg*?

And then there's the savings that can be made by choosing a Volkswagen diesel as a company car. The Passat S 1.9 TDI PD 130PS top speed of 129mph (where the law permits) and 0-60mph time of 9.9 seconds is quicker than it's three main petrol-powered rivals, the Vauxhall Vectra, Renault Laguna and Ford Mondeo. Not only that, but the Passat's 18% company car tax band is the same or lower than its main competitors.

Volkswagen's leading diesel engines are now more powerful and refined than ever. The old days of nasty diesels are long gone. Try a diesel-powered Volkswagen - you won't fail to be amazed.

*Fuel Consumption figures;

Golf GTI 1.9PD;

Urban 39.2mpg - 7.2l/100km, Extra-urban 64.2mpg - 4.4l/100km, Combined 52.3mpg - 5.4l/100km, Engine emissions146g/km.

Passat S 1.9 TDI PD 130PS (manual model);

Urban 36.2mpg - 7.8l/100km, Extra-urban 58.9mpg - 4.8l/100km, Combined 48.7mpg - 5.8l/100km, Engine emissions 154g/km;

Passat S 1.9 TDI PD 130PS (automatic model);

Urban 28.0mpg - 10.1l/100km, Extra-urban 50.4mpg - 5.6l/100km, Combined 39.2mpg - 7.2l/100km, Engine emissions 194g/km

There is already at least one diesel Westy in existance....powered by a 1.8td Ford motor IIRC and nicknamed The Weasel (geddit? ).

Also funny you should mention that particular engine....do a search with member name Sooty. I believe thats exactly what he is building :0  :)  :cool:  ;)  :xmas:

I don't know if you're taking the mickey or being serious, but I did consider (for a very short time) building a diesel seven before I settled on the Busa Dax Rush.

I used to have an Audi TT with a few modifications, running 27psi of peak boost (326 lb ft torque) and I did get a kick from the torque, it's a nice feeling to drive a torquey car.  

The VAG 1.9TDi PD engines in 150bhp trim actually usually produce nearer 165 bhp from tests that chaps I know have done and B&B in Germany have a turbo upgrade that gives over 210bhp from the engine.  Normal tuning can take the power to about 190bhp and IIRC over 320 lb ft of torque.  They're obviously not cheap to buy compared to a Zetec but they are available and apart from the weight I think would make a very interesting car :)

I see there are still some Ludites who believe diesels to be rattly slow and smelly.  My company car is a VW Passat 1.9 TDi 130BHP with 228lb/ft of torque which as the article rightly says is more than a Porsche Boxster.  The torque for a car weighing nearly 1.5 tonnes never ceases to amaze me even after driving 45K miles in 15 months.  I average approx. 44mpg and that is without ever trying as I don't pay for the fuel.

My Westie is still quicker but against one with the VW diesel engine would be blown away.  A new engine from VW would be about £3500 for the 130, I only know this as a colleague got water in his within 1 week from new and totally wrecked it.

As for the future with such massive torqe and 150 BHP available off the shelf with superb MPG it has to be the future, but that torque will be a bit gearbox and axle twisting so will need beefing up.

For those even more adventurous how about the BMW 3.0 Litre diesel which is already rear wheel drive in the 3 and 5 series.  Should just drop straight in.

To the future

Ken

:cool:….oops, I thought I’d accidentally logged onto a discussion in the Massey Ferguson Owners Club.  

:devil: ….when the Devil takes up ice-skating I’ll consider a diesel. Until then I’ll continue sniggering at the poor fops who try to look cool in their VW diesels.

:arse: ….and yes, Dot Cotton might sh*g like a ferret, but she still sounds and looks like Dot Cotton.

:blush: .....hic

For those even more adventurous how about the BMW 3.0 Litre diesel which is already rear wheel drive in the 3 and 5 series.  

Should just drop straight in.

LOL  :D  :D

And no doubt it would carry straight on out through the bottom of the car when the chassis cries enough !!!  :0  :D

Diesels have their place - tractors, trucks, France, etc. - just not in a small lightweight sportscar.  It is, IMNSHO  ;)  , completely missing the point of a se7en to fit such a heavy (and complicated !! ) engine in a chassis which works best with small lightweight engines.

And performance "benefits" aside, what gearbox would you use ?

Finally, and possibly the most important consideration, have you wondered how it might handle with all that weight up front ??  Hardly likely to be a nimble little mover....

I'm not deliberately setting out to p*** on anyones' chips, but I really just don't see the point of putting a diesel in a sportscar.  If it was such a great idea then why don't the Elise, VX220, Mazda MX5, Toyota MR2, MGF, Alfa Spyder/GTV, Honda Civic Type R, etc., etc., etc. come with a diesel option ??  I seem to recall a project from Peugeot that was a small sports coupe with a diesel engine but that's hardly indicative of the way things are going...

Vlad and Nick

I think you're being short sighted - My diesel engine and Westfield are just fantastic together  ;)  :)  :D

Loads of torque, economical, reliable and good at cruising  ;)  :)

My Westfield is complimented by a 2.8 JTD - and runs very sweetly  ;)  :D  :)  Can sit all day long all within the national speed limits of course  :devil:  :D  ;)

Diesel engines and Westfields have their place together and do very well when used to proper effect.

Put the diesel engine in the tow vehicle and have a petrol on in the Westfield  ;)  :devil:  :D  :)

Coat and mittens on - heading for door  :devil:  :D  ;)

To all,

I wasnt proposing diesels as immediate alternatives ;) however the torque issue is worth a debate.

Dump the clutch and your westy will nearly turn itself over.

Mind you the fuel consumption is a bit of an issue for me cos my VX eats it when thrashed :0  :0  :devil:  :devil:

Wonder what the engines weigh cos the VX is cast block anyway?

:arse:

however the torque issue is worth a debate

Go on then, convince me !   ;)  :p  :D  :D

The thing to bear in mind is that torque isn't everything, particularly in a light car.  I think the BEC crowd could confirm that !  (and no, that wasn't a dig at them at all !! )

As for what the engine weighs, don't forget that the block is but one component of the whole set up.  The ancillaries, and in the case of some aluminium blocked Metro engines the strengthening parts, can add an awful lot to the overall weight of the unit.  As I said above, modern diesels are complicated and I reckon the fuel system adds a lot to the overall weight.

If fuel consumption is truly an issue then the obvious route is to fit throttle bodies to your VX.  Not only are you likely to see an improvement in the fuel economy but power will most likely be increased and tractability improved too.  And it will cost a darn sight less than a diesel !!

Big thanks to hilux Press & Marketing Manager V.A.G  G.B: ;)  :D:p  :p

Auf Wiederesehen

Buzz :(

For those even more adventurous how about the BMW 3.0 Litre diesel which is already rear wheel drive in the 3 and 5 series.  Should just drop straight in.

Can't see a chance of the BMW straight six fitting... sorry, it's too long!  ???

If torque is your thing, get a V8!  ;)

Jon