Hi - Newbie here

sparkyhx

Well my beloved Nissan 200sx looks like it has died.  10 Years of ownership, fast road and track, modified extensively.  I'm breaking the car and I am looking for a replacement.  This car was running around 320bhp, 0-60 under 6 secs.  But still relatively comfortable.  and apart from adding bits and replacing pads every 2/3 track days, it cost me very little in parts.

Options are

1.  Fast hatch - Clio, Cupra, Pug,  Civic, mini (new version) etc

2.  open top Z3, Z4, MX5

3.  Westie

Option 1 - fun on track, but on the road pretty anonymous and at the grand old age of 50 (albeit a youngish looking 50), I'd just feel  a bit of a plonker.  However it would be relatively dirt cheap to run.

Not sure how much Insurance and tax would be.

It wouldn't be a car I would take touring round the highlands or anything - just not special enough

I also think I would miss the 'brutal' nature of the 200

Option 2

bit more 'special' so the touring would be a goer.  Certainly Wifey would like the option.  Not sure about track for the 2 BM's, MX5 would be relatively  cheap to run, I don't know about the other 2.

again I may miss the rawness of the 200sx

Option 3

High on the want list (always has been), but worried about suitability. 

1  I'm 20st so wide body is a deffo and possibly that still maybe a problem

2  comfort - I know this will be compromised, but my 200 is on coilovers, BUT, I've been on runouts that regularly last 6-8 hrs.  In Yorkshire Dales/Moors I've passed Caterfields in my 200 simply cos they were skipping around all over the place.

3 track wise I have no issues, performance and grin factor are almost certainly on a par with the 200

4 almost certainly the most expensive (layout) option. - but how do they fair in the medium term. do they stay fairly stable in value -  Does Rust kill them?

Although I never do runouts in the rain in the 200 (and wouldn't in a westie) - I can't avoid it if Touring or on a track day - so just how bad is it?

I've heard they are cheap to run - small wheels, small brakes, cheap parts.  (my 200 pads cost £150 a pop for the fronts and they lasted 2/3 track days at most.

Almost certainly no wifey option with this.

I know I am probably asking the wrong people, but whats your take on this?

Edited by sparkyhx

Sorry to hear your Nissan has died…go for a Westie it will put a smile on your face... :d 

Parts are cheaper than you are used to and a lightweight car doesn't eat tyres and pads.   Value wise Westfields are stable, the year of manufacture or build doesn't come into it, it's the condition and quality of upgrades that add value.

As you are a big guy trying various seat options is the key to fitting you in.   Stoneliegh Kit Car show next weekend is the place to go for a gander.

Sparky,

Sorry to hear about your car mate - bad times. 

I have a Z4 3.0 that my mum drives and it suits her aged 73, not much fun in the twisty stuff and breakdown costs are huge.  MX5 would be my preferred option or porshe boxterS

Westfield will make you nissan fell like a transit van full of wood chip and logs on top going up telegraph hill with me driving.

You mention you are 20 stone - car choice depends on how tall you are - 4 foot 10 inches and i doubt you would fit in a wide body.  if you are 6 foot 2 ish like me you could get in a narrow if your weight is in your arms or chest.. if its on you backside you will struggle. im not the smallest bloke out there and have narrow body car.

Get down to stoneleight and have sit in mine and if it fits i  might sell it to you :-) 

Welcome to the club :-) 

James (loggologist) 

Sparky, don't let that Young fit tree fella called James mislead you.  Realistically your looking for a Wide car, bit more elbow room.

Morning Bernie, I agree a wide would likely be best choice.  Good luck in your quest sparky. :yes:  :)  

I'd already decided on a widebody. I had 3 laps as a passenger in a widebody Caterham at Donnington a few years ago.  I really can't remember if it was a really tight fit or what seats it had or whether it was 'couldn't do that for long'.  I understand the Westies are a bit more accommodating than caterhams.

Where is Stoneleigh, might take a gander.

Thanks for the advice - keep it coming.

Engine wise what do you think is reasonable?  will even a 1.6 100bhp crossflow seem fast (acceleration) to what I am used to.  I know from experience of seeing cars on track that top speed is not their forte and that doesn't bother me.  I might catch them in the straights but they used to p*** on me round the bends. 

I'm trying to keep initial outlay  down a bit to keep it wife friendly, I know factoring in depreciation would probably mean its cheaper than a cheaper alternative car in the long run, but that's in the future - outlay is now.

sparky, my 109 bhp crossflow was first in class at Wiscombe on Satirday and second on Sunday in the wet. very much quicker than many 4x4 cars as well with 300bhp plus.  

Power isnt everything - grip and brakes make the biggest difference IMO 

driving the westy is just "different" to anything else ive ever had 

Welcome, what a shame about your current car. Still, gives the opportunity to try something new!

I'd try to see and "experience" as many Westfields as you can. Stoneleigh will give you a chance to see lots of alternatives within the WF brand - you'd be amazed at how many variations there are! They add up to completely different feeling cars too.

sparky, my 109 bhp crossflow was first in class at Wiscombe on Satirday and second on Sunday in the wet. very much quicker than many 4x4 cars as well with 300bhp plus.  

Power isnt everything - grip and brakes make the biggest difference IMO 

driving the westy is just "different" to anything else ive ever had 

This is all very true. But the OP has come from a tuned Turbo car; whilst the lightweight, lower powered Westfields will undoubtedly trounce it on the tight twisty stuff, they can, when you're used to that turbo push, feel a bit flat compared to a slightly less nimble, bigger engined car. That said, don't feel like you have to go chasing big horse power numbers with a Westfield, a little goes a long way in cars this light!

That's why it's important to try as many as you can, see what feels right to you!

• Like 1

One of the interesting things I took away from the drift day, (and yes I know the cars are set up in a very unrealistic "odd" way, to get the back ends out easily), is how great the bog standard and lightweight 1.6 Sigma engine car feels.

OK, I'd prefer it cam'd and on multi throttle bodies, compared to the standard Ford induction, but the lack of weight from the engine etc, really makes for a beautifully balanced "nimble" Westfield on tight, twisty roads.

I do believe everyone looking at buying a Westfield should give these models a try, just to put everything else in context. Though when it comes to wide open roads, I'd personally miss the extra punch of the bigger, heavier cars.

Having recently driven a 2 litre Duratec on throttle bodies car over roads i know well, I was really impressed with the compromise. It's still got some of that feeling of lightness, yet with enough extra go to feel safe in long overtakes when you reach the fast A roads. Makes a good all round package.

Welcome, what a shame about your current car. Still, gives the opportunity to try something new!

I'd try to see and "experience" as many Westfields as you can. Stoneleigh will give you a chance to see lots of alternatives within the WF brand - you'd be amazed at how many variations there are! They add up to completely different feeling cars too.

This is all very true. But the OP has come from a tuned Turbo car; whilst the lightweight, lower powered Westfields will undoubtedly trounce it on the tight twisty stuff, they can, when you're used to that turbo push, feel a bit flat compared to a slightly less nimble, bigger engined car. That said, don't feel like you have to go chasing big horse power numbers with a Westfield, a little goes a long way in cars this light!

That's why it's important to try as many as you can, see what feels right to you!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.  My car overtaking on a country road from about 40-70 in 2nd gear was just brutal, overtakes were over really quickly.  the 200sx weights in at 1250 kg but with 300+bhp on tap its a quick car.   Power to weight ratio factoring in my lardyness is probably around the 150bhp mark for a westie   It also has big **** off brakes as well so stops relatively quickly.   I know power isn't everything, but I've done enough track days to know I get trounced in the bends by FWD hatchbacks  and Caterfields  but often pull away catch up on straights.

I suspect a crossflow powered one will still be faster on track in the long run than the 200, but I have this fear/niggle that I will miss the truly addictive brutal acceleration if I go for a lower powered westie

Edited by sparkyhx

Where is Stoneleigh, might take a gander.

Coventry:  http://www.nationalkitcarshow.co.uk

Well worth a look if you are interesting in getting a car, there will be more there than anywhere else in the world or at nay other time of year, and most owners will let you sit in there car if you explain why, ditto a lot of show stands.

Good friend at Uni was in to his 200sx's . Infact I watched him hedge one of them from the seat of my westfield!

Daniel

• Like 1

Coventry:  http://www.nationalkitcarshow.co.uk

Daniel

Yep, come down, say hello and take a look!

It will be the biggest gathering of Westfields, (and other kits) in one spot you're ever likely to find. With plenty of owners around to share their experiences, good and bad.

It's also a fantastic opportunity to "get your eye in" when it comes to viewing and appraising Westfields. You'll usually get to see every combination from the most beutifully appointed, concours winner type "garage queens", to the hardest of hard core "track nails", and everything in the middle.

Some will have travelled a long way too, so a great chance to see one or two rigged up for a long distance tour.

I suspect a crossflow powered one will still be faster on track in the long run than the 200, but I have this fear/niggle that I will miss the truly addictive brutal acceleration if I go for a lower powered westie.

I suspect the 1.9 cvh is putting out around the 120-135 mark and can vouch that it does the 'brutal acceleration' thing, but it is different.

The 0-6 is still around the 5-6second mark, but the top speed is about 100mph. Hence second 20-50 is brutal, but fourth going 50-70 is far slower that you would get in a more powerful, aerodynamic but heavier car.

Again, if your at stoneleigh and get talking to someone, I expect you could find someone who would be willing to demonstrate if for you if you wanted a passenger ride.

Its also much easier to control going sideways from further back, as proved by my friends attempt to get the back end out at a junction, which as said, ended rear end first into a hedge before a friendly lady in a transit pulled his slightly bend machine out of the ditch!

Daniel