Is there a dignified way to get out of a Westie?

Nizztos

While seated take one leg out,grab the cage, pull up...the fun part is when the half doors are there,without getting in and out from top :) feels like been an envelope :)

My first Westfield was a narrow bodied car and as a yo yo weight guy my weight has gone as low as 17 stone and as high as 20.5 stone. I used the hands on tunnel method and with the hood off it was okay, but you need good arms to say the least. With the hood up it was a spectator sport. Coming back from a track day at Elvington with a very small tank, meant stopping at every other services and then the method is sort of lean over to the left with your backside and crawl out of the letter box sized opening head first, getting back in was a repeat.  

Oh how the people laughed as I fell out like a beached whale. The extra room in a widebody only just makes it less ammusing

Ihear Smokey simply uses the Force and floats out of his car.

I'm still learning that mind trick at the moment but It's not working :bangshead: so I'm still having to push with my legs on the chassis rail whist at the same time pushing down with my arms on the tunnel and sill.

In some ways having a cage makes it easier as you have plenty to pull yourself up with

The guy I bought mine from when he got older and stiffer

Made a sheet of ply the size of the foot well and screwed a batten across he could push off against that was mid way to the chassis rail for extra options

And it just lifted out when I bought it

Maybe get a carbon one made ;)

Yes - just takes practice.

But there's nothing that'll save dignity if SWMBO wears short skirts! ;)

The one thing you mustn't do, (if you have one) is grab the windscreen to pull yourself the rest of the way. (Warn passengers too). More than one owner has cracked a screen by forgetting, or not warning passengers.

I plan to add one or two NO HOLD stickers like this:

http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraft.com/item/placards-decals-exterior/no-hold-aluminum-placard/243-1

They're used by the homebuilt airplane community.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to dab some silicone on top of the windshield, crush a bottle and sprinkle the pieces on top of the silicone? I bet they let go before they can harm the screen ;)

Wouldn't it be cheaper to dab some silicone on top of the windshield, crush a bottle and sprinkle the pieces on top of the silicone? I bet they let go before they can harm the screen ;)

:(  :o

A few years back at one of the higher points in my life-long BMI cycle, I was extracting myself from the car, roof on, outside a local shop. Just as I was attempting this feat, a mum was walking her small child past. As I emerged like some hideous moth from a cocoon, the small girl stopped and stared and said in a loud voice 'mummy, how did that big fat man get in that tiny car??" I almost fell over laughing at that one.

I only had the roof on once. It was when I collected the car from Bromsgrove and came up the M1 in torrential rain.

We got back to Sheffield and stopped outside a shop. My head emerged first and then the body with me crawling on my extended arms as I emerged. End up crawling across the pavement on all fours.

It was at that point that I decided the roof was coming off and was never going on again.

A few years back at one of the higher points in my life-long BMI cycle, I was extracting myself from the car, roof on, outside a local shop. Just as I was attempting this feat, a mum was walking her small child past. As I emerged like some hideous moth from a cocoon, the small girl stopped and stared and said in a loud voice 'mummy, how did that big fat man get in that tiny car??" I almost fell over laughing at that one.

In a similar vein, years ago now, back in the aeroscreened days, I remember pulling up at lights, or a crossing, I forget just which, all fully helmeted, glove'd etc. A small child hand in hand with a very attractive young mum points out at me and the car and fizzing with excitement, shouts something like "Mum, Mum, look, it's the Stigg!" Attractive young mum looks me up and down, I give friendly, self deprecating smile, about to give wave, toot horn for the kid, all the usual stuff we do. When I hear the mum turn to the child, and say "yes dear, looks like the American Stigg"

Probably quite accurate, but I still slunk away like I was an inch tall.

In a similar vein, years ago now, back in the aeroscreened days, I remember pulling up at lights, or a crossing, I forget just which, all fully helmeted, glove'd etc. A small child hand in hand with a very attractive young mum points out at me and the car and fizzing with excitement, shouts something like "Mum, Mum, look, it's the Stigg!" Attractive young mum looks me up and down, I give friendly, self deprecating smile, about to give wave, toot horn for the kid, all the usual stuff we do. When I hear the mum turn to the child, and say "yes dear, looks like the American Stigg"

Probably quite accurate, but I still slunk away like I was an inch tall.

Heh.  This American really likes the Brit version of Top Gear. Yeah, Jeremy likes to take swipes at American cars, but he does it even more to BL and Rover.

I tried to watch the American version but gave up after less than half the episode. Dreadful show.

I recently got the first 18 years on DVD and am up to season 11 now.

I'm considering fitting detachable legs.

Ah  - the Douglas Bader modification - now that's what you call commitment and going the extra mile.

Sounds like its fun with the roof on.  I think I would do it on all fours, leap up with my arms outstretched and go Taaa Daaa. 

Edited by sparkyhx