Wilf

philc

Hi All

Just joined having spoken to the local rep Richard Marsh. I have just acquired a year 2000 Wesfeild  SEI with a 2L Zetec on twin 45s. I have a few things I would like to do to the car including relocating the type 9 gear change and re-trimming the interior after the mod. i believe that the car was originally a crossflow and the zetec was an upgrade. One thing that the previous owner pointed out is that the rev counter reads incorrectly, I assume that the gauge was not changed with the engine - any ideas????

Welcome.

Do you know how far off the rev counter is? Is it reading double, half, something else? Idle speed should be around 1000rpm and it will be very obvious if it is more than a couple of hundred above, or below. What does the tacho read? What happens as you rev? Do you know if there is an ECU controlling the sparks, or a distributor? Just some questions to give us some clues what to look at. The crossflow and zetec are both four cylinder engines, so the tacho should be getting two pulses per engine revolution with either.

Jen (who still hasn't got the tacho working on her car after changing the ECU the year before last!)

AJD Thanks

Im not sure how to post an image on a topic but i have some of the taco, No dip switches on the back and no logos on the front so I can ID it. I suspect that when the engine change was done the installer picked up one of the trigger signals from the ignition module to the coil pack, it the taco was reading half revs that would explain it (wasted spark on the Zetec) but the previous owner said that the taco was reading 3/4 of the actual engine reves so that dosen't make much seance!? I have the gearbox out at the moment as I am doing the type 9 remote change mod to move the change back as I cant touch it in 1st. As soon as I have it running again I will check the actual reading.

Welcome aboard

As Jen says it's probably just the pulses to reset on the taco