Which new car?

Deanspoors

Get it detailed. Or just use some good sealants and waxes! Will make easy work snow foaming and rinsing off as an in between wash stage.

• 6 months later...

Well I went for the C63 in the end. Picked the car up yesterday and wow, what a car it is. I was rather wary of spending so much on a car, but the cost is almost verified once you get behind the wheel. A total contrast to the Mitsubishi evo it replaces. Thanks for everyone's contributions to the topic. I just wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed another possible car choice out

Hi mate,

Just wondered how you are getting on with this.

Do you ever regret spending the money or never look back?
What's it like to live with and dare I ask - are the mpg stats about right (20 comb / 13 urb)?

How's about a wee write up  :d  :yes:

Mark

Hi Mark,

To be honest I've only put about 1500 miles on it since I bought it, I've been doing a bit of travelling around the world this year.

To start with though, the car is a world away from the car it replaced, an 07 Evo 9 FQ-360. The most immediate thing I noticed is the lack in grip under power on the C63 compared to the evo, it simply does what it wants under harsh acceleration, especially around corners, and is simply dangerous to drive spritely in the wet. With the traction control on the normal setting it is actually quite hard to exit a T Junction without it kicking in, which means you have to drive it in the Sport Handling Mode. This is fine, unless it is wet outside, and then you have to be quite awake if you decided to press firmly on the loud pedal. On the odd occasion I have turned the traction control off which is better cardio exercise than any track and field event. I'm hoping these traction issues are slightly aleviated when I replace the rear tyres with the recommended slightly wider profile (265's from 255's).

When the car is in the dry I would say the car handles very well and instills confidence on higher speed corners, and although it weighs more than the evo I would say it feels as though it has more grip at height speed. 

With regards to running costs, I recently had the cars first service at Mercedes which was around the £200 plus £80 for oil which I bought myself, saving me around £80 on the service. Eurocar parts had a 25% discount on oils with a voucher code. Tax is £500 a year.

MPG, the maximum I have achieved on a motorway run was around 28mpg. Generally, around the doors 17/18mpg and on a quick blat around as low as 14mpg.

Driver comfort is incredible, the cockpit is obviously well presented, plenty of creature comforts with lots of adjustement on the seats. With the panoramic type sunroof the headroom is quite low and I am almost touching it at only 6' tall.

Practicality, it's a Coupe and as most Coupes it's not truly designed as any sort of family car, although 2 adults can comfortable fit in the back, at the expense of my driving seat position, the boot is also a decent size.

One thing that is a little disappointing is that the Coupe is not rated at all for towing, although I know a few people would be shocked at the thought of towing a westfield with one, it would have been really useful for the short drive to Croft.

And, I can't believe I almost forgot the best part about the car, the engine sound, I do sometimes find myself driving along with the heaters on full blast, just so I can have the windows open to listen to the sound of the engine.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the car, I couldn't really think of anything else I would prefer to be honest, in the same price range anyways!  

Dean.

Cheers Dean, interesting thoughts, and glad you're enjoying it.  I'm just completely drawn in by the sound - pure magic!  SWIMBO has different ideas unfortunately although I wonder whether I could bring myself to part with the money even if she gave the nod lol.

..impressed that you have a Westy too.  The Merc doesn't provide enough exhilaration?

I'm sure you'd love it if you got one, what car do you currently have?

I actually haven't driven the Westfield yet, the car has just been IVA'd a couple of weeks ago but I'm still working offshore, then straight after work I'm travelling to Oz, this Thursday. So I'm not going to get to drive it until the 26th. I'm really looking forward to it obviously, and you never know, I might have one drive in it and decide I don't need the Merc anymore. or I might go to Oz and decide I don't need the UK anymore, haha!

Lol.. Did you have to ask me that? Ford focus tdci! Or the wife's Leon.

Emigrate to Oz if you can mate. I would :)

Why buy a depreciating asset?

With the miles you do contract hire something tasty on a short term, low miles deal. Got to be cheaper ;-)

Why buy a depreciating asset?

With the miles you do contract hire something tasty on a short term, low miles deal. Got to be cheaper ;-)

The very cheapest C63 Coupe on contract hire was £20,000 over a 2 year contract. I'm hoping my car with the mileage I'll use it will depreciate a lot less than that.