Cheap SEIW? Advice Please.

CornishWesty

I believe the alpha weber ecu were pretty much standard from the factory. But as it is well documented, there are very few rolling road operators with the kit to map and work of alpha weber, so that's why whenever people have had an issue with the weber ecu they've often ended up changing to something else.

I think the cvh left the factory with a distributor

I would think that the MJ was an upgrade when it was cammed ,

I thought the alpha ecu started going in when engines needed a stand alone ecu ie zetecs

I thought the alpha ecu started going in when engines needed a stand alone ecu ie zetecs

That makes sense ...

That makes sense ...

Thanks for that and I agree.  It's a shame there isn't more paperwork with it, which surprises me slightly given that it obviously has been looked after.

I have to say, this is a great forum! :t-up:  ;)

Thanks all,

Tim.

Can be a bit of a catch 22 Tim; sometimes those that look after them most fastidiously, are also the ones that don't like parting with much of the paperwork!

Not sure just what the factory's history with Weber ecu's is. I admit I always thought it was a later thing, more mid 2000's. As most of the ecu equipped cars I've seen before then were on MBE engine management. Then after the Weber Alpha period they seemed to spend a few years trying various ecu makers, including KMS from the Netherlands, before settling on Omex, which has then been the standard ecu for the past few years

The advantage you have is if you decide to upgrade you already have an ecu which can then be mapped for a zetec

That will reduce the cost considerably,especially if you decide to re use the carbs :)

Just get the things bought... I need more local members :-)

Right, an update on this.  I've had the report back from South West Lotus:

Overall it's in very good condition.  However they picked up:

It has no antifreeze in the coolant

The suspension geometry is "all over the place"

There is no exhaust cover - not great if one of my children or wife come out in it and burn their legs

The shift lights don't work

I know it hasn't been serviced since last February but he said the oil is very clean

Ideally I'd like the coolant flushed and replaced, a basic service and the geo setting up, which will cost me around £250-£300 depending on how difficult the geo is.  I'm not sure how much the exhaust cover will cost, but say £100.

So I'd therefore like to knock the price down to £5000.  Does that sound about right?

Cheers all,

Tim.

The way I'd look at it is nothing that can't be fixed then

It's better a car with a few quick to fix problems than one with unknown hidden ones

By the time you find another and get it checked again ££££ you could have this one spot on and know its spot on

Nothing wrong with haggling over the price a little too though ;)

Good luck :)

An exhaust cover won't stop someone burning their leg. I know! It only covers the can, which doesn't get as hot as the pipes at each end that aren't covered. Each person only does it the once though. The other things are all easily fixed. A suspension set up by someone with the equipment and a proper knowledge of these cars will be very worth while.

Jen

Thank you for your comments. I've done the deal at £5k.  I'm having a full geo. carried out by the South West Lotus Centre who carried out the inspection (they are main service agents for Noble and have a good reputation amongst the Lotus fraternity too) as well as new coolant etc early next week, so it'll be ready by the middle of next week.  Insurance is a very reasonable £115 for 3k miles through A-Plan.

I'm sure I'll be on here regularly asking newbie questions, once I've paid my subs of course!

Darrell, I'll be in contact re. meeting up.

Thanks to all.

Tim.

I think 5k is a fair price, you don't see any Westfields for sale for less unless they have big problems, not road registered or an engine missing sort of problem

Enjoy your new car

Thanks, I agree it's a good price.

Sparkymart - I live between Truro and Falmouth. Feel free to pm me. It would be good

to meet up with a fellow owner.

Cheers,

Tim.