Daft Question but!

the bear

Into my first few months of Westie ownership and will be looking at a few tracks days next spring.

Following other questions I am beginning to understand the sort of mods needed to the car to make it safe to use on a track, what about me!

If I entered the speed series do I need a MSA competition licence, insurance etc and are there any other specific mods required for the car.

TBH I dont think I will be out with you guys next year but maybe the year after, If I need a comp licence I guess I should start thinking about it in the spring.

Anyone got any good links or contacts for instructors?

I am in Hertfordshire.

Cheers

Mal :blush:

For sprint/ hillclimb events you need a national B non race license. You should apply over winter. Download forms from MSA site. No medical required.

As far as the car goes you will need to fit a catch tank (oil) of min capacity one litre. Depending on budget/ preference this can be a pukka ally one/ washer bottle/ drinks bottle. As long as it's secured properly it'll satisfy the scrutineers.

You SHOULD fit an rac rollover bar (ie with rear struts). Not mandatory; but there's plenty of nasty things happened to standard loop rollbars

Battery cut off switch; again not mandatory (afaicr) but advisable. Must be reachable by strapped in driver and must cut off ignition/ fuel.

Basically go over the car and make sure nothing feels or looks like it might fall off (scrutineers are v keen on battery security)

Other that your car should be up to it if it  passes mot's

(Decent pads are a nice cheap upgrade that make a difference for starters)  

Oh and lastly...

Apply for your license and come join the fun in 2004; even just 1 event to see what its all about....I guarantee you'll love it.

I started this yr "just to do 3 events to see how it goes" :blush:

10 events later and 2nd in Modified road class.........Roll on next yr :D  :D