would this tow ok

scott beeland

Seen a bit of a bargain vectra 2.5 gls hatch for sale.

Was looking for an estate really but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Whad'ya reckon?

Get a diesel.....I swapped my XR4x4 (2.9 V6) for a Mundano 1.8TD, and better than halved my towing fuel bill........

get a cavalier if i were you, older but much better than the vectra.  £1800 should buy you a late low millage minter  :t-up:

perhaps a bit more for the v6?

Scruffythefirst

Scott get a diesel Turbo as blatman said. OK my Passat 1.8TDi is a new company car,but it will do 38mpg with that massive 17ft trailer (sorry USS Nimitz) including the Westy and all me Stella.

If I were towing with a 2ltr petrol I wouldn't see 15mpg so god knows what it would be with a 2.5 V6

Seriously Scott the modern turbo'd oil burners are very good

even the old 405 TDi's. You should be able to pick up a decent 406 TDi estate for a bit more wedge.

Buzz :cool:

Yeah, but the big thirsty petrols are cheaper to buy than the diesel equivalents, by a long way.

I run a 4 litre Jeep Grand Cherokee and tow with it, it drinks the juice but I bought it for £3 - £4K cheaper than the diesel version. Got to do a whole lot of miles to make up that difference.

Have driven a few 2.5 vectras and wallowing aside it is a nice lump under that bonnet so I would snap their hands off at that money.

Slicko. ;)

Scott

I use my 2.5 V6 petrol estate for towing, similar to Bros S its superb for towing, as for fuel - I don't pay any attention to mpg  :durr:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Turbo diesel is much better on the pocket though - my wagon is far more economical for towing than car  :D  :D  ;)

So keep em peeled for a TD car - estates can be slept in  :D  ;)  ;)

I had a vectra 2.5 SRI a while back, nice car to drive and bags of poke, although it only had 170BHP but I guess thats more than you need for towing... I tow with my 1.8zetec Focus without any probs :) although the Westie weighs next to nowt and it is on a Minno.. on a normal run I could get 29MPG out of it.

Yeah, but the big thirsty petrols are cheaper to buy than the diesel equivalents, by a long way.

If the premium on my (second hand, 98/S reg) TD Mondy was a grand over it's petrol equivalent (and it was far less), I'll make it up in under 12 months........based on my annual tin top mileage of about 15000 miles........

For this price / age it might need a clutch. On a Vectra its the engine out & if it has A/C this'll have to be discharged first. Long and expensive job and you need a wheels free hoist to drop the suframe out.

What about Omega? They are dirt cheap at the mo & if you get one that's been privately owned it'll likely be mint & low mileage.

2-3K should get you a good one

If you want to take a little bit more of a risk how about an Alfa Romeo 164 V6. I had one for 4 years and still regret selling it on. With 192 hp (the 12V version) it went like stink. I fondly remember a drive to Le mans in it and still being able to keep up with Westies, much to eveyones suprise. It'll do 150 mph you know! They won't rot & parts are cheaper than the VX Omega. Mine had 130 K on it when I bought it & 210 K on it when I sold it. The engine was just about run in by then, the body had zero rot due to most of it being galvanised.

£500 - £1500 should get you a very nice one suitable for towing.

:)  :)

Scott,

As you probably know, I tow with a petrol Volvo V70 T5.  Forget deisel burners and suprise the GTi brigade when you out-accelerate them with a Westfield in tow.

My car is a tiptronic auto - so I get around 25mpg normally and around 22mpg when towing on the motorway - about 20 elsewhere.

Who cares about fuel comsumption - b******* the planet - have some fun. :devil:

For this price / age it might need a clutch. On a Vectra its the engine out & if it has A/C this'll have to be discharged first. Long and expensive job and you need a wheels free hoist to drop the suframe out.

What about Omega? They are dirt cheap at the mo & if you get one that's been privately owned it'll likely be mint & low mileage.

2-3K should get you a good one

If you want to take a little bit more of a risk how about an Alfa Romeo 164 V6. I had one for 4 years and still regret selling it on. With 192 hp (the 12V version) it went like stink. I fondly remember a drive to Le mans in it and still being able to keep up with Westies, much to eveyones suprise. It'll do 150 mph you know! They won't rot & parts are cheaper than the VX Omega. Mine had 130 K on it when I bought it & 210 K on it when I sold it. The engine was just about run in by then, the body had zero rot due to most of it being galvanised.

£500 - £1500 should get you a very nice one suitable for towing.

:)  :)

Ref the 164. Its a well under rated car. I had  a V6 company car,it was fantastic and reliable as f... erm thingy!. U can pick 'em up dirt cheap, the only problem is they are a bit ugly...but if you're ugly yourself then its no problem :(  for me I looked out of place in it, 'cause I'm gorgeous :love:  :blush:

Buzz :cool: