Save Brighton Speed Trials

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

Done.

Well done chaps! Keep 'em coming. Remember the advice given at elections in Zimbabwe: "Vote early! Vote often!" :p

What's the background? Presumably someone injured or killed this year? I'd imagine average speeds are possibly somewhat higher than they were but as long as adequate precautions are taken and it's only those who have signed up for something dangerous that are in danger I say leave alone!

What's the background? Presumably someone injured or killed this year? I'd imagine average speeds are possibly somewhat higher than they were but as long as adequate precautions are taken and it's only those who have signed up for something dangerous that are in danger I say leave alone!

It was cancelled this year due to a fatality last year. A motorcycle chair outfit crashed after the finish line and killed the passenger. The surface is undulating and he was braking after his run which, presumably, unsettled the rig. Once upon a time the competitors ran in twos over a kilometre. Vehicles as powerful as 1000bhp and of the ilk of Dante Duce's Mooneyes ran there until they were banned, so H&S has had its way with much of the spectacle already. This is the Greens on the city council shamelessly hijacking the death of a young woman (Charlotte Tagg RIP) who died doing what she loved. No spectators were, nor ever have been, under any threat whatsoever. More die drowning off the beach than are even hurt at the speed trials but they aren't anti-green activities. To my knowledge, and I've attended almost every year since the early sixties, three deaths have occurred in the 100 years of the event's history. I may be wrong but not by much. You're in more danger from cyclists on the pavement or from slipping over on the tons of dog dirt on teh streets than driving a car or bike in this event.